• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Weight Vest

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cingene

Will Dive for Food
Mar 4, 2003
Has anyone used a weight vest marketed by OMERSUB mimetic line? If so, how is it?

i guess its good but i think a bit expensive considering what it is.i went to buy one and the guy wanted 100 euros for the f****ing thing.if your not worryed about fashion and need something cheap that works .ill tell you wat to do get a thin biycle inertube cut it where the valve is we dont need the valve. fill it up with led pellets (buckshot). dont fill it compleatly . leave 8 inches on both sides of the tube empty .when full tie the two ends togeth with two or three knots to form a loop again full of led. now twist it into a figure 8 and where it on your back by passing both your arms through both loops of the figure eight. alot like putting on a shirt. not a t shirt but a shirt with buttons if you know what i mean

Reactions: Longfins
I have one and have been pretty happy with it.
Problem is that you need to install a set of loops that attach it to your belt, othervise the weights in the back will hit back of your head everytime you dive.

I would not use one but here in Finland we need TONS of lead to compensate thick suits and shallow hunting depths. When I go to warmer waters, Mr. vest stays home.

Very good investment if you have back probs due to weight belt, still the extra loops are a must and certainly make the vest more difficult to dump in a case of emergency.

If you hunt in shallows, it is a very handy thing to have as you are well balanced in the bottom.....if not......do not bother.

My EUR 0,02,

Mikko

If i remmember corectly its 45-50 euro here....100 euro is too much...

The weight vest is amazing for diving the shallows. I often dive our local jetties in 10-30' of water and the vest has made a huge difference in being able ot hunt these depths efficiently, especially as the weather cools and thicker suits are needed. they allow for much easier adjustment in your body position...allowing for more relaxed and efficient dives as well as stealthier hunting in the shallows. Plus it takes a lot of pressure off of your back.

Matt

Originally posted by Cingene
Does anyone know if it is available in the U.S. yet?

Pirate Scuba's got em. I have this vest on my wish-list too ;). It would be nice to split the weight between the vest and the belt. My lower back starts to ache after wearing 18 lbs on my belt (while spearing in 15 feet or less). The safety factor shouldn't be compromised too much, so long as you split the weight, keeping yourself buoyant if you drop your belt.

Seems a bit pricey for a vest with a few pockets :confused:. Must be made out of some quality stuff.

Hey Jon, Gert's a Omer dealer now ain't he? Maybe it'd pay to go through him.

http://www.spearfishinggear.com/Mer...creen=PROD&Product_Code=OMWV&Category_Code=WB

Ted

Last edited:
Anyone know of a similar camouflage material (maybe nylon or some other resistant material)? Maybe we can make one or two.

Ted,

The vest is pretty solid and in my opinion is quite reasonably priced. Only real problem is that you need to make those belt loops as it simply does not work as it comes.

And yes....it is only for hunting in shallows.

I was diving in Norway...mostly shallows...decided to venture a bit deeper.....had serious difficulties in getting back to the surface from 25m!!!!.....had 9kg's on me.
Auch!

So....if you can dive with less that 6kg's....I do not think that buying one is worth it....

Cheers,
M

The most important thing for any weighting system: How easy is it to dump in an emergency?
And how reluctant will you be to let go of that expensive vest?

I've dived with some guys wearing vests only, and seing their legs floating up behind them is a bit of a giggle...:D

I am thinking using half and half (half on the belt half on the vest) like Unirdna said, so that if I have to dump, I lose the belt and keep the vest. :duh Would that work? I have no idea. Maybe going half and half would also help balance the weight out. No more legs up in the air?:D

Last edited:
This ignorant observer is spotting one thing in this discussion. For those who live in "warmer" water and dive past the visible red, there appears to be no point to spending the dough. Perhaps Maltaspearo's idea is worth some consideration though a looksee at Sporasub's weight harness is definitely on the agenda. Thanx for the interesting ideas.

Icarus, I can't find any mention of the Weight Harness on the Sporasub website. Where can I find a picture and some info?
thanx,

:eek: Nevermind, I finally got a look. Hmmm, 7kg, is that enough ?

OldSarge!!! Great to see you here! AcurateReloading right?

Welcome to the board!

damn right about the .375 too. :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT