• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

One is finished! well almost...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

frogmansailor

Aug 5, 2007
So I have managed to nearly complete one of the two guns on my list of things to do. I think the blue water cannon will have to wait until next winter.

This is a 100cm mahogany gun with a 115cm picasso shaft, two 9/16" rubbers (16" and 18") a posiedon sub trigger mech, and an oak trigger housing.

Let me know what you think!

Dave

PS. If you are going to talk to me about the shaft/spear combination, there has already been a discussion(http://forums.deeperblue.net/homemade-spearguns/75768-new-guns-works-5.html), and knowing the risks I am keeping this configuration.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 250
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 243
My camera battery died, so more pictures will be on the way in about an hour... these are what I got before it went.

It is finished with five coats of watco oil, and will have a few coats of marine spar varnish (UV protectant) on top of that after 72 hrs of drying. I am still in the process of making (maybe buying?) a reel, and I have a rubber pad for the butt piece that will go on after the varnish.

Seeing as it is not quite finished, any suggestions for tweaks/fixes etc. are welcome, but make them quick because it will be finished by the end of the week to be ready for a possible trip to the FL keys the first week in April. (Any good spots to break this baby in down there let me know...)

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Very nice Dave. Just curious as I've never built a gun before, aprox. how many man hours do you have in it's production?

excluding the drying time and the 4 wks that the wood has to stand after laminating, I'd guess about 30-50 hrs. I didn't really keep track, but it all depends on how much time you want to spend on it. I could have easily taken my time and been working on this gun through the summer, but it could have been completely functional about three weeks ago.

If you have any type of woodworking background, or at least the basic tools (router, table saw, and hand tools) and not necessary but very useful: electric sanders, band saw, dremel, drill press, lathe, jig saw, etc. you should go for it! This site is really great for support or questions while you're building. (you can PM me for my email if you want specific help. I check my email very often)

camera's done charging...
My upload quota is full. If you want more pics, I can send them to you. Just ask.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 241
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 239
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
WOW- That is a good job! Have you tested it at all? Boyancy? weight?

I havent tested weight/balance yet because it doesn't have the final coat of varnish over the oil. By the end of this week the bathtub will be filling...

Reactions: dotey
how hard was it to make your own gun man id like too but thats alot of work right

dotey, you should go for it! This site is really great for giving you anything you need, and if there is anything you can't find an answer to, you can just ask! It isn't hard if you just take your time and think everything through. Another good idea is to make two spearguns at the same time: one out of your good wood (teak/mahogany/etc.) and the other out of pine or other cheap wood. This way you can catch any mistakes before they cost you. If you have basic woodworking tools (or at least acess to them) and a general understanding of how to build stuff without chopping your fingers off on the table saw you can do it (you also need about 250 bucks, but what you get is well worth it)

Nice work frogman...why did you cover the pins, that hold the trig. mech? The handle/trig. looks very nice what did you end up using for the trig guard?

The side panels are not to cover the trigger pins, but rather the bolts that hold the handle into the trigger housing and also the trigger housing onto the barrel. It is just an after piece that is tacked on with two dabs of epoxy, and, if need be, can be popped right off for maitenance and then re attached. I don't think I will need to get to the trigger though, it has quite a bit of space to let water wash through.

The piece that runs through the handle, becomes the trigger guard, and then continues into a bit of the barrel (you can see it under my signature), is 1/2" plastic cutting board which was sandwitched between the nahogany handle pieces, and buffed smooth.

Thanks guys. I haven't gotten a chance to varnish/balance it as of yet, but I'll keep everyone updated.

lovely looking gun, do you have a link where I can buy the trigger mech? How did you work out the best muzzle config regarding line routing and your guide pins? Methinks the upper pin should be bent forward a little to stop the first loop catching as the spear exits???

Again, lovely work!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT