• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

One of A Kind Fred Flinstone gun !!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iyadiver

Mr. Long Post
Apr 22, 2002
I was at the Island a few weeks back and one of the stuff there made his own speargun in the best of simplicity. I have seen a few home made guns but this one is quite "high-end":D . They make it whith what ever material they have.

Top left photo , the speargun in full.

Top right photo, yep, no pistol grip. That big stainless rod under the butt/grip is the trigger. Reminds us of motor cycle brakes...:eek:
If I may name this trigger design : AimWrong...wha ha ha ha

Bottom photo is the muzzle. 1/2" PVC pipe taken from the discarded plumbing....ha ha ha. See the bands, that is left over from 1/2" JBL bands. 1 used band becomes two bands the way it is set up. The wishbone is just some stainless steel 2mm hard wire twisted to make a loop. How does the band attach to the muzzle ? See all the black rubber winding the band, it is from any old bicylce inner tube...:D

The lumber/stock is made from the same wood we made our pier from, durable. Hmmmmm no wonder one of the pier wooden support is missing....I wonder...:confused:

NEXT POST..........................

Reactions: tuomo
The story goes one

Top photo, his own made flopper. Hawaiian, Tahitian ???? I think we can call it "Uniquenian". He whacked the 5-6mm shaft till it split and insert the same size stainless rod ( flattened one the end ).....Viola, a flopper. No pin required.

Second Photo, a slide ring. Just coil up some stiff small rod and u get a slide ring.

Bottom Photo, don't laugh dudes. Those two fishes he got with his Fred Flinstone gun....ha ha ha. That is a Marbolo size cigarette pack for size reference. This is what we call White Snapper in literal translation. Actualy a mangrove/coastal species but somehow some one's holding pen went bust by the wind and these fishes they tried to breed escaped. Some hang around under the pier and that's where he got it. Only a mask and no fins this guy. I'm getting him a simple fin.

This white snapper is 3x more delicous than a red snapper. I never see them underwater, only fish them by the coast or beach.

So how much he spent on the gun.........perhaps US$10.00 only....What a guy:D

Hey Iyadiver that fish he has there looks a lot like the fish we call Barramundi over here in Australia... and if not a barra (which it looks 2 be) it could be what we call a sand bass which is a very close relative to the barra...

Arr well sorry i have been so quiet on the forums lately I come and see the froums often just more often then not don't have anything much to add. I am going back up to PNG again at Christmas... I will take a few photo's of the spearguns they have there... A shaft is basically a streight piece of overgrown fencing wire and they use a collection of rubber bands... obviously not so many large fish get caught... but it's good for them.

Iya,
Nice gun. The guys over at Retrosub in N. Cal would love it. Keep up the good work.
Anthony
Chicago

Thanks gentlemen, I am glad u like it. Thanks to Tuomo too;) .

Matrix ( I don't like calling u Dog :D ),
PNG and Irian Jaya ( Indonesia ) have the same native people. When I was in Irian Jaya, I too saw a traditional speargun but the rubber/band was from car tyre inner tube, more down to earth. This Fred gun was quite influenced by the JBL that guy saw.

Chit chat here man, we miss u. Becareful in PNG and please bring ur gun over there. I thought December brings west monsoon to that area ? I hope no bad weather at ur stay. Recent there was an under the sea earthquacke on the Irian Jaya side. It produced Tsunami but luckily on 6.4 Ritcher scale and 50 cm of flooding only.

Have fun......

PS, I think it is called Barramundi since the head is as such like Barramundi Cod. Yumy fish......

ANTHONY,
What is a retrosub ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT