• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

ono

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andrsn

Just visiting...
Aug 26, 2001
anyone have experience shooting at pelagics? ie. wahoo, wahoo, or wahoo?

i've seen alot of people hitting them mid-flanks. not too many are hitting the vertabrae, though. is there a method to this madness, or is this pretty much just standard procedure? mahi and tuna are a bit taller and allow a better shot on the spine, but these chunky toothpicks(ono) don't seem to offer as nice a target.

i'm teaming up with aquiles out off the florida keys in search of these devilish marvels this coming weekend. the reason why i'm so curious on the best shot-spots is that many toothy critters are always quick to the scene, and i'd rather not dork around with fighting a fish for too long.

thanks,
anderson

Hey Anderson,
Never been BWH, but this is what I have been told. Maybe someone can confirm this or shoot it down.:confused:

1. How many chances will you get? Usually not that many so hit them mid-body where you have the greatest chance of hitting and landing the fish.

2. Ono is very skiddish. Try not to look at them and pretend they are not there.

3. Enjoy the ride!;)

Best of luck to you and Aquiles. Anyone, feel free to shoot this down. I won't cry:waterwork. Last time I'll listen to that guy again.

shorty

Hi Anderson,
Here's what I know and have heard. Unless you can garentee a head or spine shot in the front third of their body you stand too great a chance of them ripping the spear out. Unlike most other large fish the flesh and bone structure won't handle a shot in the stomach area. You can get away w/ a shot thats a little low on a grouper,AJ, or permit(when they were legal) because the rib bones are pretty tough along w/ their skin. But just think how easy cero rip out!
I've read that in Austrailia alot of shooters actually aim for the back third intentionally. There's more muscle and bone per unit area. Also if you can immobilize their prop they can't fight as hard. Lastly I think alot of ono are hit mid body because of their speed and the longer range they are usually shot at. In B/W a big fish definately looks alot closer than they are. Hope this helps. Shoot one for me, wish I could of stayed to meet you and Aquiles but I had to get back.
Jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT