• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

ono?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

holdown

Sep 9, 2005
Ok here goes the vicious cycle for the umteenth time. My riffe island while reliable and solid has not given me the goods. What are the thoughts on stepping up to a Wong Ono? and how does this gun stand up to a comparable Kitto, Merlo, Alexander? I know this is a timeless debate. I like the quality and guarantee of the Wong and the fact that it is nicely weighted with no need for wings. So what do you think?

The Ono is probably comparable to the Kitto and Alexander but will score higher because of the lifetime warranty. Daryl is also very accessible and friendly. I've heard the Merlo guns are beautiful pieces of art but quite a bit more expensive. Mori also makes great guns from what I hear.

All the guns you mentioned are properly ballasted and shouldn't require wings or screw on stabilizers. Or if they do, those would be included. You won't need to downsize or lengthen bands. Nor will you need to downsize the shaft or otherwise heavily modify it like many have done with their Riffes.

thanks spinal tap, Pretty much backs up what I imagined. Just gotta save up the dosh now, but I think the ono is the go. On these tuna style cannons do you recommend using mono or cable for the spearline leading onto the floatline? Lastly, is it correct that my break away should connect directly to my float and then to the bungy? sorry, know these are pretty basic q's. Peace

What sort of fish do you hunt? I have 5 Wongs including the ono, but I don't get much use of the ono in So Cal. It really is overkill here in my estimation.

Whatever the gun, here is a way to hook up what is known as a Hawaiian Breakaway. Its much more failsafe than the Riffe system in which the rubber thingie has to pull out of the hole in the butt.

Size your mono or cable shooting line so that the loop in the rear end is a few inches from the line release. Put a loop of bungee cord through the loop in the shooting line and stretch it over the line release, then clip your float line to the loop in the shooting line. When you pull the trigger, your gun is out of the chain.

My apologies to all who have seen this 69 times before. :)

Attachments

• breakaway.JPG
    breakaway.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 211
  • breakreleased.JPG
    breakreleased.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 200
holdown said:
On these tuna style cannons do you recommend using mono or cable for the spearline leading onto the floatline?

It depends on where you dive and what kind of fish you shoot. There is no need for cable in SoCal for instance, and you shouldn't use it unless you need to because its dangerous.

BTW, if you happen to be in SoCal within driving distance of San Clemente, I could show you 5 different Wongs and mention the pros and cons of each.

Its so much easier to answer questions when we have a clue where you live.

Last edited:
holdown said:
On these tuna style cannons do you recommend using mono or cable for the spearline leading onto the floatline?

Unfortunately, I don't have enough dosh (or need for a big tuna gun) to answer with first hand experience. But among my friends who pursue big tuna with these guns, they prefer cable. You should send Daryl an email and he can give a much better perspective.

holdown said:
Lastly, is it correct that my break away should connect directly to my float and then to the bungy? sorry, know these are pretty basic q's. Peace

Your shooting line should be connected to the bungie which is then connected to the float. If you have the float connected directly to your shooting line (I'm assumming that's what you're calling the breakaway), then you wouldn't be able to dive as the float is attached directly to your gun.

This leads me to ask, how did you rig your Riffe?

OOf, I come off as maybe a bit more clueless than i am. I have been using the O-ring style breakaway, definitely saves dramas with the auto release, no sticking as with the riffe. though that can help when missing. As to the floatline/bungy quandry-I shot a heavy GT (60-70lbs) and had my breakaway leading into my floatline (no stretch) then onto the bungy. I fought the fish from the float line vigourously as he was trying for a cave. After five minutes the slip tip and attaching cable ripped thru. Fish gone. If I'd had the bungy would the play in the line have prevented the line ripping out/thru? I should have explained all this from the outset. It was sickening to lose such a beauty. I don't want it to happen again. Finally, I am from Martha's Vineyard but, up to now, travel pretty extensively and am presently trying to hit dogtooth here in Bali with a Riffe Island, which while good and solid has been a bit frustrating. The fish have not been all that accomodating either. Thanks again for all the input. holdown

Ohm Swasti Astu (I'm sure I butchered the spelling)

I take it GT is Giant Trevally or Ulua in Hawaii? Those fish are just plain mean. You'll definitely want cable. I've heard of 30lb fish snapping floppers off shafts.

In the situation you described, while the bungy would have given you more play it could also allow the fish to make it into the cave. That alone isn't a bad thing unless the cave is very deep or the currents are ripping like they often do on Bali.

Good luck! I hope you can get a hold of Daryl and he'll be more help since he does hunt GT (Ulua) and tuna.

Nate

Hiya

For GT's i'd stay away from bungees completely!! As you know, they're dirty fighters and would wrap your shooting line around the first peice of rock or coral they can find!! With normal floatline, you can exert more pressure on the fish and possible hold him away from the reef. A 60-70lb fish shot in shallow water, and you don't have a kill shot.............bye-bye fish and your spear!! They're simply unstoppable at that size in the shallows where there are plenty of reefs. Cable is a better option for GT's in rocky area's.

For tuna, there is no need for cable. Normal 2mm to 2.5mm mono is sufficient. Obviously, the 2.5mm offers better strength. The area and size of the fish will dictate whether you need a bungee. If the water is deep, then a bungee will work superbly. But if you're hunting in shallow water, where there is plenty of reef, a bungee works too your dis-advantage.

Hope that helps. Drop Daryl a email, pretty sure he'd be able to assist you!!!

Regards
miles

I never shot a Kitto or a Merlo, but i think those are real fine spearguns. I do have a Wong's Ono and is the sexiest, deadliest thing around here, but is so overkill for my regular weekends diving that i ordered a Magnum Hybrid, for that reason you could ask Daryl for the New Super Magnum Hybrid, that is same size as the ono but with the maneuverability of the Mag Hybrids i guess. Sheri Daye has taken a bunch of Tunas with that one, and Daryl ended up shooting a monster Tuna with the Mighty Ono, but he said that he has no doubts to have shooted and landed The 255 pounder with the new Mega Magnum .... I'm so tempted to order one, but i need advice of Bill Macyntire to convince my wife to do so ....

by the way The Ono is rigged stock with 30 ft of steel cable along with the shaft and breakaway...

Last edited:
seaman said:
I'm so tempted to order one, but i need advice of Bill Macyntire to convince my wife to do so ....

Permission granted. Tell her I said that she won't regret it.:)

I'd really like to have one of those super magnums too, but then I can't afford trips to places where I would need it as long as I persist in the madness of boat ownership where I live.

Bill McIntyre said:
Permission granted. Tell her I said that she won't regret it.:)

I'd really like to have one of those super magnums too, but then I can't afford trips to places where I would need it as long as I persist in the madness of boat ownership where I live.

Hell, man is a non stop no way out thing with that guns!! and besides Daryl is such a nice person!!!

PS: just to show her what you will get with the Super Magnum, here is a tuna taken in Costa Rica with one.

I don't even know the diver- Daryl just sent me the photo when he was first telling me about the new guns.

Attachments

• hybridtuna_1.jpg
    hybridtuna_1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 218
double wow!! so those things have the range and the punch! How much that beauty would be? guess... Over 220 pounds?

Hey Bill, i have just made a Deal with my wife, she said that as long as i give her a pair of Gucci lenses (maybe related to Cressi sub i guess) i can order whatever i want !!

seaman said:
double wow!! so those things have the range and the punch! How much that beauty would be? guess... Over 220 pounds?

I know he told me at the time, but I forget. I think it may have been in the 240 range though.

I think that gun is a serious alternative to the ono though. After he came back from that Thanksgiving trip with Sheri to Costa Rica, I had a chance to talk to him and ask for a comparison. He said that since its a bit lighter, it does kick a bit more. But he also said that when they jump in in front of a school of dolphin, they have just a few seconds to breath up, dive to about 30 feet, and then the tuna come by at Mach 1, and its nice to be able to swing the gun at them.

My basis for comparison is my Mahi and my magnum hybrid that is the same length as the Mahi, about 57.5" long. I like the handling of the magnum so much that I never carry the Mahi any more.

seaman said:
Hey Bill, i have just made a Deal with my wife, she said that as long as i give her a pair of Gucci lenses (maybe related to Cressi sub i guess) i can order whatever i want !!

I'm glad that I could help.

I like the full wooden spearguns a lot, but the fishes are getting wiser and faster as i dive more, so the hybrids are the ideal set up for almost any situation, i ordered the 55 inch cf MH. is that 2.5 inches of yours a custom preference? and about the kick thing, i guess it compensate the heavier feeling and less maneuverability of the full wooden guns..

Last edited:
seaman said:
I like the full wooden spearguns a lot, but the fishes are getting wiser and faster as i dive more, so the hybrids are the ideal set up for almost any situation, i ordered te 55 inch cf MH. is that 2.5 inches of yours a custom preference? and about the kick thing, i guess it compensate the heavier feeling and less maneuverability of the full wooden guns..

Yes, that 2.5 inches was a custom request. I just wanted it to be the same length as the Mahi, but easier to swing. He used the same butt as the 55" and just added some length in the barrel.

Interestingly, a friend of mine from Maui got the same length gun, but he got there from a different direction. He already had a Riffe Island, and he wanted a Magnum Hybrid with exactly the same band stretch, and that turned out to be 57.5". In that gun, he said he used the butt for the 60" guns and just shortened the barrel.

I suppose my gun does kick more than the Mahi- after all, its not as heavy as the all-wood gun, but I can't say I've noticed it. I hit a white sea bass with my first trigger pull. However, I lost that first gun after about 3 fish (you don't want to know) and since I got a replacement I've been using a 9/32" shaft in it, so that must reduce recoil even more.

By a strange coincidence, my friend from Maui just posted to Spearboard today with the fish taken with the first trigger pull of his 57.5" Magnum. His wife shot this 41.5 pound Mahi, which would have been a record if he had not put a second shot in it to make sure they landed it.

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 180
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT