• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open cell VS Titanium/metalite

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Seal

Deepsy
Apr 29, 2003
I was just wondering.

I'm buying a new suit, a have an open cell(semi broken), but i'm really tired of using the soap water to get it on.

Is an titanium suit easier to put on? what are the pros/cons?

Never mind because I think i'll go old-school and by a "normal" suit with a zipper.

Taunt me if you will, but I get to dive every day, I just ride my bike for 3 min and jump in. Only it was hell riding in the Open cell suit. And putting it on and taking it off day after day just got tedius. Plus it wreked the suit.

And I have had some great and trouble free diving in my now 7 year old K2 suit. So i'll just stick to that type of suit for training.

I have a Cressi Competition with metallite interior which is supposed to just slip on without soap.
I can manage to get it on without soap but it's quite difficult. It still kind of sucks to the skin, so today I always use soap water to get it on.

From the experience of diving buddys with differnet types of metallic linings, I say that metal linings is good for temperature (I can stay in 4 degrees Celcius for hours) but you will always have to use soapwater to get it on.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I think I will go for the standart suit with nylon inside out, and zipper. For training that is.

Because I got so tired from using the soap water method day after day.

Heia Norge! (har hytte sør for bergen, moren min er fra Norge : )

Se der ja, jeg er fra Bergen men bor i Drammensområdet nå. Hvor sør for Bergen har du hytte?

På Reksteren ved Tysnes, det er foreldrene som har den. Gammel gård som har vært i familien siden 1850 tror jeg. Men den har blitt svært modifisert de seneste årene.

I'll do this in english so other didn't go into this thread in vain.

I just bought a "Cressi super competition" today, with metalite inside, and I can actually put it on/off without soap water:) This is what I allways wanted.

It costed a boatload here in a local store, but what could i do. I needed it now. Since I broke my smoothskin "metalsub cicle".

I apologize for not mentioning it before, but at www.scubastore.com this suits sells for NOK 1.336 (approx. USD 200) + freight.

Hope you didn't pay a lot more than that for your suit.

When you mention that you slip into the suit without soapwater, is the suit a tight fit or what?

Anyhow, congratulations with your new Cressi suit. May it bring you tons of underwater pleasure.

Well I did say "slip" but it's more like a roll on thing.

About the scubastore thanks for saying it, but I had checked it out, it costs 1595 Dkr so it's more expensive for danish buyers (strange) The delivery was however "unknown" And I couldn't wait that long.

Let's just say I payed enough :eek:

The reason it's more expensive is the fact that Scubastore, located in Spain, have to charge you VAT when they deliver within EU. Since Norway is not a member of EU they don't charge us VAT.

We have though to pay norwegian VAT to the norwegian tax authorities, when the goods arrive in Norway:(

Originally posted by Getor
I apologize for not mentioning it before, but at www.scubastore.com this suits sells for NOK 1.336 (approx. USD 200) + freight.

Hope you didn't pay a lot more than that for your suit.

When you mention that you slip into the suit without soapwater, is the suit a tight fit or what?

Anyhow, congratulations with your new Cressi suit. May it bring you tons of underwater pleasure.

boy am I embarrased:eek: You said "When you mention that you slip into the suit without soapwater, is the suit a tight fit or what?" And i thought it fitted, but then i checked the box and it said "size VI"!!! thats 6 the store said it was an "IV" meaning medium!!

I just drove out there and got a new seize IV = 4

Thank you so very much for questioning the fit, if I had tried it on in the water they wouldn't have exchanged it! Thank you again:eek:

Interesting question now is:

Do you need soapwater to get the new suit on?

My Cressi suit is so tight that I actually stay completely dry from the neck down, and I can assure you that it's nice when water temperature is 4 -5 degrees Celcius.

I think i'm back on the soap truck:eek:

But still it's easier than open cell, the alternative is a scuba suit, but I can't get myself to freedive in one of those.

*EDIT* I can actually get in on/off dry! it's a perfect fit! I could not be more exited:D

Last edited:
Im thinking of getting either the Cressi Gara Ultraspan 5mm its lined with the black metallite on the inside. The other suit Im considering is the Yamomota from mako open cell interior, I scuba dive but want a suit more suited to freediving and spearfishing I was thinking the Cressi but havent heard of this interior would the cressi be a good choice? I live in wisconsin so the water temps vary most spearfisherman prefer the opencell five does anyone know the difference in warmth between these two linings? I would much prefer the Cressi if that lining is good ( and warm ). What are your thoughts?

from my experience Yamamoto (neoprene) is a fraction less stretchy than any Cressi suits and a tiny bit harder with putting it on/off with thicker suits (5 & 7mm). Still, very durable and proven material though. Gara's don't have the full long johns pants, only waist high unlike Apnea (5mm) and Competitions (5 & 7mm). The inside of Cressi suits doesn't differ much from the classic open cell and is very comfy and soft, still lube them regardless, it makes putting them on heaps easier and prolongs the suit's lifespan significantly.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT