• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open cell wet suit Vs closed one

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ahmed Lotfy

Jan 23, 2016
hi everybody , iam beginner in freediving and spearfishing , and iam so confused between open cell wet suit & closed one . i know the difference between them , but i wanna to know some things to decide , at the first i want it for spear fishing in winter , the water is moderate cold here in sharm , Egypt . so which thickness I will need in case of Open cell 1.5 mm is good or 3mm ? , the other main question , can i use closed cell suit 3mm for ex : Aropec 3mm for freediving and spearfishing ? for a beginner will i face a fetal problems ? as open cells are so expensive compared to closed , thanks alot

Hi Ahmed, I used a 3 mm closed cell a couple years ago in Sharm when freediving in 20-22 deg C water. I use the same suit for spearfishing here in Finland during the warmest summer days (18-23 deg C water). I also use a 1,5 mm hood, gloves and socks. It is not super warm, but 2 hours is good for me. Definitely not too warm, but I prefer the durability and ease of putting it on.

Still I recommend you get a 3 mm open cell, so you do not get cold at all. It has integrated hood when its cold but its easy to slide back if it gets hot. Gloves and socks make a huge different in these water temps as well. On a warm day they're not needed.

Comparing 3mm open and closed cell is apples and oranges in my opinion. A cheap 3 mm closed cell could be cold on the beach on a windy day... And a decent 3mm open cell you could get around 100€, I think?

Reactions: Ahmed Lotfy
Hi Ahmed, I used a 3 mm closed cell a couple years ago in Sharm when freediving in 20-22 deg C water. I use the same suit for spearfishing here in Finland during the warmest summer days (18-23 deg C water). I also use a 1,5 mm hood, gloves and socks. It is not super warm, but 2 hours is good for me. Definitely not too warm, but I prefer the durability and ease of putting it on.

Still I recommend you get a 3 mm open cell, so you do not get cold at all. It has integrated hood when its cold but its easy to slide back if it gets hot. Gloves and socks make a huge different in these water temps as well. On a warm day they're not needed.

Comparing 3mm open and closed cell is apples and oranges in my opinion. A cheap 3 mm closed cell could be cold on the beach on a windy day... And a decent 3mm open cell you could get around 100€, I think?
thanks alot japppo , you can't imagine how your comment helped me , i was about to buy closed cell an nobody here told me the big difference between them , they all scuba divers so they don't use open cell suits , and the big differnce at prices between them made me prefer the closed one ( closed is about 50€ & open cell is 180€ for both 3mm ) , so thanks again for the advice .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT