• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open Cell Wetsuit Allergy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

musubi

Feb 9, 2017
Over time I feel like I've developed a skin allergy to the neoprene in my open cell wetsuits. I've tried changing lubricants, even trying water based ones, and nothing has improved. This is also not specific to one brand of wetsuit. Would a closed cell wetsuit help with something like this, or will I not see a difference since the nylon barrier is porous? I'm curious to know if others have this and what you've done to lessen or resolve the issue.

I'm also not clear if the allergy is caused by the neoprene physically touching the skin or if a nylon barrier would help.

Anyone with input would be appreciated.

Maybe you're allergic to your urine. Do you pee inside your wetsuit? If so, you can try installing a pissete to it.
Also, you can let it soak overnight in a baking soda solution and then throw it in the washing machine for a delicate cycle. That would kill the bacteria.
As a lubricant, I use a shampoo/water solution (1:20 ratio or less) and let seawater into the wetsuit as soon as I get in.

You may be interested in trying some of the wetsuits that are specifically teargeted for people with Neoprene allergies. I don't have personal experience with them but I've heard that they do work if you get the size correctly.

Take a look at these brands:

Sharkskin
Lavacore
Fourth Element

Is the wetsuit you use petroleum based or limestone based neoprene?
I have no idea. The wetsuit I'm currently using is Polosub Forza Tre, 3.5 mm. Do you know if Polosub uses one of those?
Maybe you're allergic to your urine. Do you pee inside your wetsuit? If so, you can try installing a pissete to it.
Also, you can let it soak overnight in a baking soda solution and then throw it in the washing machine for a delicate cycle. That would kill the bacteria.
As a lubricant, I use a shampoo/water solution (1:20 ratio or less) and let seawater into the wetsuit as soon as I get in.
I don't pee in my suit anymore. I ordered my current suit with a pissette and have never peed in this suit.
I gotta say, my wetsuit is pretty darn clean. I wash that thing good after every dive and air dry it inside out completely. The suit smells and feels brand new. I washed it last week more thoroughly (just in case) by hand, gently scrubbing with detergent. Still this past weekend it caused a lot of itching.

The lubricant I use is Slippy, which is supposed to be non-allergy causing.

My last wash I let soak in my usually Slosh cleaner.
Thank you for the suggestions.
You may be interested in trying some of the wetsuits that are specifically teargeted for people with Neoprene allergies. I don't have personal experience with them but I've heard that they do work if you get the size correctly.

Take a look at these brands:

Sharkskin
Lavacore
Fourth Element
Thank you for the suggestions!
I did look into each of those companies since you posted them. The Sharkskin I have some experience with since I have a tank top of theirs. I used it prior to help with warmth (on a thinning wetsuit). That said, I don't remember it causing any itching when I had it on in that area. So yes, that brand or barrier works. However, even though I'm in Hawaii, I tend to get cold easily and using the Sharkskin on its own would be too cold. I would need a suit that's full body and at least 3 mm. Unfortunately they don't offer that. Also, putting on and taking off a suit with sharkskin was very hard. The skin is meant to simulate a sharkskin so it worked against me in one direction.

Lavacore and Fourth Element are similar in that they do not offer a suit with full body that would include a hood. Fourth Element comes close, but no hood. I'm also a little concerned about any one piece full body that may require a zipper since I've had cold experiences with those in the past.

Since my last dive this past weekend, I've noticed that it takes a few hours for the itching to kick in. I'm not itchy in my suit or just after I take it off. I'm starting to wonder if something is giving me dry skin, which would be causing the itch and not an allergy. Anyone have issues with dry skin after a dive? Does anyone include moisturizer in their lube?

You can also use a solution of body milk/water to lube the wetsuit. Or hair conditioner/water. It doesn't slips like shampoo, but it works.

The important thing is to let some water in after you wear it, so you take off the excess lube from contact directly your skin.

Polosub doesn't declare what type of neoprene they use.

Reactions: musubi
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT