• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open heel freediving fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fabikp

Nov 26, 2010
Hi,

Are there any freediving fins on the market, with open heel and removable blades ? I cannot find any. Thanks.

I don't know whether there are any on the market, but I would caution against them. About 20 years ago when I got my first long free dive fins, I got the open heel version of what was considered the best fin on the market, the Escaplez Black. I thought they were a big improvement over my scuba fins, but then a friend brought the closed heel model of the same fin on my boat and I tried them out. I think I made three drops and was so impressed with the increase in performance that I ordered a pair for myself the next day, even thought I had only used the open heel fins for three trips.

Open heels fins are indeed not quite as suitable for freediving because there is a significant loss in energy efficiency. Removable blades are very common though, most brands offer them. Especially the higher end models nearly always have removable blades.

Thanks for responds, but I often use neopren shoes for going in and out of water. My friend uses closed heels and it´s always a problem with the shoes, so I prefer some loss of efficiency.
Yes, removable blades are very common, but not with open heels.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT