• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open Heel vs Closed Heel fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Slider

Dec 21, 2002
Im new to freediving and just after some explanations on why closed heel fins seem to be the go over open heel ??

Any contributions welcome !!

Slider

I'm interested in hearing about this, too. I've been using open heel fins for years. Since the Scuba Pro Jet Fins were THE fins and they were less than $25 a pair. Of course we were all using oval masks back then, too. Lately I've been hearing how much more efficient closed heel fins are. Did I miss something?:eek:

My opinion is closed heels for free diving and spearing open for scuba, closed heels may give a bit more power and also dont have bloody annoying clips to catch on your float line.
Open heel are good with boots with hard gripped soles good for walking over barnacles etc with heap of heavy scuba gear ,tank BC etc on your back.

Open heel freediving fins are still somewhat rare so if you want a decent freediving fin then closed heel is the way to go.

For freediving and spearfishing most use an 80cm blade as opposed to the shorter and less powerful scuba fin.

And the power difference is quite incredible! Once you change to a Picassso or Omer freediving fin you'll never go back to a Scuba fin!

Very true, Spearslinger. I've been a big fan of the BIG Scubapro's since day one. They were 21.50 US and manoman did I make some siltups with those. They're still my SCUBA fins of choice... I've a pair of the Splits and I can't get them to push worth a sh#t.

On the full foot thing, the transmission of power from your legs through the properly angled ankle to a arch that's enclosed in a foot pocket is huge- once you get used to it. If all you've been using are open heel SCUBA fins, figure on 2-3 dives worth of cramps and bitching, but then you'll hit it and they just seem to flow a lot better, will allow you to turn and all and you'll be right at home. I've used them with tanks and even with hoses and though I don't recommend them then, when you're just cruisin and fishin, they're the tools.

There are a bunch of threads here going on and on about which fins are the best so hit the search button and read on.

sven

Thanks guys !!

You've helped me on a few of the technical aspects of it so ill make a descision from there. :)

Slider...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT