• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

open track for wood speargun - how big?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mariusshobo

Sep 22, 2013
I am building an iroko gun that will shoot a 7mil shaft and I will varnish it. The gun will be laminated with West System 105 epoxy (+ 205 fast hardener) and I will varnish it with epoxy.

I just can not figure it out what bit to use for the open track : will 8mil diameter round bit be ok?
Amazon product
I think that the epoxy varnish will add also a layer inside the track but don't k now how thick.

About varnish, I intend to use the same West System 105 epoxy but I do not know if I can use the same hardener as for bonding, the "205 fast hardener". I've seen that West System is recommending a special hardener for coating - 207 Special Coating Hardener, but maybe there is a trick for useing the same 205 fast hardener as for bonding.
http://www.westsysteminternational....g-west-system-hardeners-fillers-and-additives

Thanks

Cut the track, coat with epoxy, sand with wet and dry paper wraped around a 12" lenth of 7mm steel rod.
If you want a deep track then use 7.5mm rod.
Epoxy is a fantastic glue but I find polyurethane is a far better varnish, if you can justify buying a tin of two pack polyurethane marine varnish, you will find it a lot easier than using epoxy.

I have already laminated the stock. For how long shoud I let it to rest before start cutting the track and etc? The moisture in the wood was 8%.

after planning leave it for sometimes ,mine was wrap or crook precisely after the planning but may be because of 35 mm thick of the stock

Last edited:
laminate the wood then glue then plan it to get true square or rectangular piece

I laminated 4 guns each stock laminated to ( 10 mm by 6 or 7 pieces ) 2 was success as the height of the gun is 40 mm other 2 I keep planning as every time it bow up till I reach to 34 mm and still bow after return home from shop ,it may from moisture but why other 2 successful ! I marked the pieces and flip sides to follow the lamination procedure for guns for all 4 guns

try next time sipo(utile) or padauk

The whole idea of laminating is to stop bowing, this should not happen, in fact I cant think of a single gun I have ever made that has bent in anyway.
The only thing that could make a laminated blank bend would be, wet wood drying out or dry wood absorbing moister.

Reactions: doyenofcastle
I am building an iroko gun that will shoot a 7mil shaft and I will varnish it. The gun will be laminated with West System 105 epoxy (+ 205 fast hardener) and I will varnish it with epoxy.

I just can not figure it out what bit to use for the open track : will 8mil diameter round bit be ok?
Amazon product
I think that the epoxy varnish will add also a layer inside the track but don't k now how thick.

About varnish, I intend to use the same West System 105 epoxy but I do not know if I can use the same hardener as for bonding, the "205 fast hardener". I've seen that West System is recommending a special hardener for coating - 207 Special Coating Hardener, but maybe there is a trick for useing the same 205 fast hardener as for bonding.
http://www.westsysteminternational....g-west-system-hardeners-fillers-and-additives

Thanks

upload_2016-10-26_16-2-0.jpeg

The whole idea of laminating is to stop bowing, this should not happen, in fact I cant think of a single gun I have ever made that has bent in anyway.
The only thing that could make a laminated blank bend would be, wet wood drying out or dry wood absorbing moister.
Hi foxfish ,

I have a question regarding the lamination (attached pictures) i want to know the cutting plan if I have a quart saw piece ,usually I got flat saw wood and I do laminated in the vertical plan but if I got quarter cut piece shall I laminate in the horizontal plan ?
IMG_20161027_105906.jpg
IMG_20161027_105957.jpg

Hi, I would mix flat sawn with quarter saw if possible, I like to mix up woods and cutting patterns.
I do this for several reasons, ... strength,.... stability & because.... it looks so cool.
Guitar necks always have quarter saw wood in the vertical plane but very often have a flat sawn strip running down the middle.

Hi, I would mix flat sawn with quarter saw if possible, I like to mix up woods and cutting patterns.
I do this for several reasons, ... strength,.... stability & because.... it looks so cool.
Guitar necks always have quarter saw wood in the vertical plane but very often have a flat sawn strip running down the middle.
very nice I want to make same but for laminations arrangement if u have 2 type of wood where u put the more stable wood ? centre or out side ?

Attachments

• DSC_0139.JPG
    DSC_0139.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 225
I use this pattern quite a lot, I cut in the vertical piece once I have laminated the main stock .....

Last edited:
Reactions: doyenofcastle
I have finished the gun and it comes out really nice!

Here are some specs:
- iroko 10mm stripes laminated with epoxy;
- poliurethane paint;
- Ermes trigger mech;
- 7mil at 150cm Sporasub shaft;
- Rob Allen 55 composite reel;
- setup with 2 or 3 bands 14.4mil Sigalsub Reactive bands;
- handle : stainless steel structure + wood + epoxy puty + sand friction layer;

THANK YOU ALL FOR INFOS AND HELP!
If there are novices that need help, I will gladly answer to your questions.

And some pictures:
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

how is the band stretch ratio ?also if you need a SS muzzle let me know I do have a lot of design

Attachments

• IMG_20161218_000632.jpg
    IMG_20161218_000632.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20161218_001413.jpg
    IMG_20161218_001413.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: mariusshobo
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT