Guest viewing is limited
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Opportunity to participate in research - Californian USA divers (possibly others)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lifestyle-sports

Mar 4, 2024
Greetings! I apologize for the length of this message, but I want to be clear about this research and our recruiting goals.

One quick note - we seem to have all of our interview spots filled, so this would be about 15 minutes of your time to complete some questionnaires (no interviews).

Recruiting Statement
--------------------------------------------------------------

If you are interested in sharing your experiences as a freediver in the greater San Francisco Bay Area / Northern California regions, please consider participating in this IRB-approved research being conducted in the San Francisco State University Department of Kinesiology!

We’re interested in the experiences of people who have a high level of passion for their sport and we’re hoping to understand whether this could become problematic for some individuals (or not), essentially like an addiction. We were prompted to explore these concepts in the freediving community because of a news article we found where several freedivers from the greater Northern California area described freediving as an addiction. We want to develop an in-depth (no pun intended) understanding of what it’s like to be a freediver so we can form a more complete picture of how freediving could be addictive and/or what people mean when they describe their sport as being addictive.

It’s important to understand that we’re not trying to find addiction, not trying to label anyone, and we’re not offering any sort of diagnosis. We are only interested in your experiences and feelings related to freediving as someone involved in the greater San Francisco Bay Area / Northern California freediving community.

If you meet the following criteria, you are welcome to participate in this research:

1. You are at least 18 years of age
  2. You have at least 1 year of freediving experience (diving and/or training) on a weekly basis
  3. You have NOT been previously diagnosed with an eating disorder
  4. You have NOT been previously diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder
This research will be conducted in 5 steps:

1. Review of informed consent.
  2. A brief socio-demographic questionnaire that includes a few details about your views of freediving.
  3. Two questionnaires that you will have a total of 9 days to complete.
  4. A 60-minute long interview via a video conferencing platform, such as Zoom.
  5. A 15-minute session to check your agreement with the researchers’ interpretation of your interview after completion of the study.
Participation is voluntary, and all information will be collected and stored anonymously to protect your identity.

The total estimated time investment is 90 minutes. We are also recruiting for questionnaire-only participants (you will not be interviewed) with an estimated time investment of 15-20 minutes.

If you have any questions or would like to participate in this research, please contact Jacob Dinardi at SFSU:
jdinardi@sfsu.edu

--------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to share this information exactly as it appears above. You may include a note such as: “I’m sharing this research opportunity for anyone who might be interested.”

Background

I am a member of the faculty at San Francisco State University. My research revolves around lifestyle sports, specifically ways in which people relate to their sport with varying degrees of passion that can affect them in positive ways and, in some cases, negative ways. One of the areas I am very interested in is a concept known as "exercise addiction," which is a complex behavioral addiction that I believe is prone to being confused with passion and other elements of active individuals' lifestyles. My long term goal is to disentangle these concepts to better inform the way they are studied and understood by researchers in various fields of psychology. As an endurance athlete, freediving caught my attention and I'm excited about leading this research. I'm happy to answer questions!

We are recruiting for a pilot study now, and expect to be recruiting again around summer for a larger study. I realize our recruiting locale is somewhat geographically limited, so, if you are outside of California, I still invite you to contact me: Jacob Dinardi -- jdinardi@sfsu.edu

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT