• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ordered the "right" sized fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 3, 2021
I ordered some leaderfins and got them today. I went according to their chart for the foot pocket size and it is in fact the right size, but it's impossible to use with with a 3mm sock. I didn't notice it did say to go a size up although I looked for it.

Are there any recommendations, short of buying a new foot pocket, of what I could do?

I would order new footpockets. It is a nightmare to swim all day with uncomfortable footpockets.

However, you can mold them to your feet to a certain level; bring water to boil in the biggest pot available. Once is boiling, put the footpockets into the water and wait 5 minutes, then wear them with your socks until they cool down (about 10-15 minutes). After that, the footpockets will take the shape of your feet, so make sure to mark them as "right" and left", because they will be different (and much more comfortable).

There's people that uses heat guns to do the same. I did it with boiling water and love the results.

Reactions: Mr. X
I would order new footpockets. It is a nightmare to swim all day with uncomfortable footpockets.

However, you can mold them to your feet to a certain level; bring water to boil in the biggest pot available. Once is boiling, put the footpockets into the water and wait 5 minutes, then wear them with your socks until they cool down (about 10-15 minutes). After that, the footpockets will take the shape of your feet, so make sure to mark them as "right" and left", because they will be different (and much more comfortable).

There's people that uses heat guns to do the same. I did it with boiling water and love the results.
Yeah I tried the heat gun, but didn't get much luck. I'll see how I can spin the "I gotta order an other set of foot pockets" to my wife in a positive way

Just do it and tell her the manufacturer sent them as "customer service"... :LOL:

But try the boiling water trick before, as it heats the whole footpocket instead of an area as the heat gun does.

• Haha
Reactions: CurrentlyFishing
Just do it and tell her the manufacturer sent them as "customer service"... :LOL:

But try the boiling water trick before, as it heats the whole footpocket instead of an area as the heat gun does.
Sadly or luckily, not sure lol, she actually knows quite a bit of it, since she usually goes with me, enjoys Fishing and was researching it while she was looking for what to get me as an anniversary gift (she got me a suunto d4f)

Ended up being able to expand it using the gun. Tomorrow I'll try them put to how comfortable they are after a few hours

I have Leaderfins and it took a bit to find a good fit combination, I found the Mako 2mm socks worked perfectly. I always soap my pockets before I put them on and it makes a good fit with no bunching.

You are in Greece, dive without socks. I sometimes do on hot days here in GB, as my feet swell and I don't need socks under such conditions. The footpockets themselves keep your feet pretty warm anyway ;)

You could use 1.5 mm socks. I only use 3mm socks when the water is below 15C. I have Leaderfins with the Forza foot pockets, which are such, short rails but very comfortable. With 5mm socks I would need a size up. You could get another footpocket. But In august why use a 3mm sock? I use just a Lycra or 1.5mm socks. Only reason I use the neoprene is because lycra has no grip on rocks covered in algae I need 5o step on to get in and out of the water.

Query: Ive ordered a Scuba-Pro Seawing Nova fin. I normally do free diving. Any comments regarding this?

You are in Greece, dive without socks. I sometimes do on hot days here in GB, as my feet swell and I don't need socks under such conditions. The footpockets themselves keep your feet pretty warm anyway ;)
Yeah, I used them yesterday for the first time and without socks they are a perfect fit. I'll see what I'll do when the colder weather starts to set in

You could use 1.5 mm socks. I only use 3mm socks when the water is below 15C. I have Leaderfins with the Forza foot pockets, which are such, short rails but very comfortable. With 5mm socks I would need a size up. You could get another footpocket. But In august why use a 3mm sock? I use just a Lycra or 1.5mm socks. Only reason I use the neoprene is because lycra has no grip on rocks covered in algae I need 5o step on to get in and out of the water.
I'm definitely looking to get some 1.5 mm socks, just to avoid getting friction from the shoe. But otherwise, i tried them without socks and they were great!

I have Leaderfins and it took a bit to find a good fit combination, I found the Mako 2mm socks worked perfectly. I always soap my pockets before I put them on and it makes a good fit with no bunching.
Until I get my boat (I hope in about 1 or 2 weeks) I need to shore dive and the fins are too new to put on outside of the water (in order for the soap to stay) and getting them scratched up :ROFLMAO:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT