• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ottawa Freedivers thaw out

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jason Billows

Sep 17, 2002
Matt,

Great article. I get shivers just thinking about diving that day... COLD!

But, I'm happy to report that Morrison's Quarry has warmed up considerably for those of you who may be thinking of coming to pay us Ottawa divers a visit.

Roberto and I dove the quarry on Saturday evening. The water temperature on the surface was 19 degrees celcius. I didn't take the time to check and see what the temp was a depth, but it's safe to say that the thermocline wasn't as shocking as it has been.

We were a little concerned about visibility when we arrived at the quarry. Lots of mucky algea was floating on the surface, at least near the shoreline. However, upon diving out into the centre of the quarry the surface algea disappeared. Then came the big surprise...

Roberto and I began doing our pulldowns and warmups. On my first pulldown I stopped at 15m. I glanced at the bottom and was surprised to see the car, crystal clear. I then glanced up and could see Roberto just as clearly on the surface. The visibility was better than I have ever experienced at the quarry. I figure it was at least 20m viz. Let's hope it lasts for a while.

Happy diving!

Jason

Fantastic Matt!

A great description of a great albeit cold dive! I think it was a couple weeks later when I joined you at Morrisons, and it was still just as cold in my opinion... although I like to be warm!

Now that it's so much warmer, I may have to make another trip up there!

Aaron

Nice and warm article for a 'cold-water'' story!
But now the temp is very good, and the diving more enjoyable!

Cheers

Roberto

Hey nice article Matt. Almost makes me want to leave my salty brine and move on to dive in fresh water! ;P Almost. Well at least when, one day, I do my cross-Canada trip, I will feel inclined to make a dive stop along the way.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Cheers,

Tyler

Nice article! I'm surprised you guys pour warm water into your suit before the dive. The times I tried that I ended up way colder than without it!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric,
I agree totally. I peed in my wetsuit once on a cold day and nearly froze. Tried the hot water thing too, much colder than without! But that's me, and my suit dosn't get much water inside... The hot water feels nice when taking the suit off tho!! I'm going to get those re-usable heat packs for next winter. One of those on my back would be nice on the cold days. :p

Way to go on the no-suit dive at the Nationals! I really think that's the best way to dive, but I don't last very long without one. My record is 30 min in 64F/18C water... and at that point I was no longer able to stop the shivering, let alone dive properly! :blackeye

Tyler,
I'm trying to get my work to give me a transfer to Vancouver! ;) Diving here is great, but there are a lack of places with deep water. Definatly give us a ring when you come by the Toronto or Ottawa area though. I'll be giving you a shout if I make it out to Vancouver for Worlds! I've just gotta convince my wife that me leaving her (again) to go diving is good for our relationship... :rcard

Cheers all,
Aaron

Eric,

This season was the firt time I used the "wuss water". It helped to warm me up, not cool me down.

I found that I got cold when getting into my suit due to the low air temperature. By adding a little hot water to the suit I warmed up again quickly.

It was certainly nice getting into the water warm rather than starting the dive off already being cold.

Jason

Hey Aaron,

What kind of job do you have that you imagine you might get a transfer? Good luck, I imagine you would never be able to look back if you ever landed here. Have you dove along either coast of Canada or North America for that matter?

Well, I hope you make it out for World's. Would be good to do some group recreational dives. Let us know if and when you come.

Good luck with the wifey!!

Cheers,
Tyler

Aaron, I didn't know you were thinking of going to the World's. Hopefully you'll be able to make it.

Tyler, I'll be there to volunteer. Unfortunatley i won't be there until the second day of CB. I was hoping to get out and do some CB diving myself so hopefully you and some of the others will be up for it on the training days for the World's (If I'm not needed to volunteer that is). I'll also be in town until the 16th so will have time to dive after the competition if anyone's interested.

Can't wait to get out and dive in the ocean.

Jason

It looked for a bit like I was going to be able to make it, but then my boss changed his mind about holiday time :( Too bad too, because I did manage to convince my wife...

Actually I was kinda kidding about the transfer, but my company does have an office in Vancouver. I'd have to get a pretty big promotion to get the transfer though! Not likely for a while, but it could happen at some point!

Aaron

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT