• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ouch! - packing injury

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

chojan

Feb 22, 2004
I should have known better...

I regularly do packing stretches (2-3x/wk), and am fairly comfortable going to about 15 packs after full inhale.

However, two nights ago, I tried the ATRC test. Wanting to induce the full effect of the reduced blood flow, I packed to max (no warmup), about 18 packs and held. (As a side note, I scored somewhere between 7-8 -- a very interesting experience.)

BUT.. ever since that my chest has been extremely sore (in other words, I need to be careful reaching for things, twisting, etc.). Originally I had assumed that I must have just pulled the internal intercostal muscles, but now I am worried about pulmonary overpressurization injuries (POPS, POIS, pulmonary barotrauma, etc.). The pain is intermittent and sharp.

I am kicking myself for this, because I don't want this to affect/ruin my diving going forward. What are the chances of damaging the actual lung, not just stretching the muscles? I'll see if I can see a doctor as a backup, of course.

Has anyone else experienced this, and how long did it take to recover? How long did it take you to get back into packing stretches, etc? :crutch

Hopefully others can learn from this -- be very careful with packing, even if you think you are only slightly above your usual limit. :naughty

I'm very upset :waterwork

Many thanks...

Last edited:
Reactions: Snorkel Bum
I have not had an incident like this, your best bet is to see a doctor, but lets see what everyone else has to say...

An update -- got full-inspiration and expiration X-rays done. No signs of anything bad (lining looked fine, although I wonder about the alveoli). So fortunately, it appears to be just muscular.

Last edited:
Karoline Dal Toe had a packing injury in 2001. We were never really sure if it was muscular or lung tissue, but it gradually went away in about 2 weeks. I think a main point is just not to stretch the areas in the meantime, in order to let them recover.

The good news is that a packing injury is far less serious than a lung squeeze injury can be. A bad lung squeeze can take 6 months to recover from.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi chojan

I did a very similar injury when I first learnt how to pack and had the sharp pains like you say, it was even difficult to breathe properly. It took just over 2 weeks to heal however I didnt do any packing or stretching for a month after it happened :(

I have never had it happen since :cool:

cheers

Hmmm.... looks like I'll need more rest than I was hoping to give up :vangry ... Maybe I can still do some practice with FRC dives/training :confused: .

Thanks for the info everyone.

Last edited:
I also had a mild packing injury (very mild), which went away in a few days. It never happened again.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I think FRC should be a 'no-no' as well as packing, if not even worse.
X-rays cannot always show damage to delicate tissues, better play it safe to reduce the chance of scarred tissues.

You're totally right (I was kind of half-joking)... I'm one of those people doctors hate because I never like to give things a chance to heal (I don't like having to "sit out") :(

Kind of like that time I broke my foot (full leg cast) and got frustrated by how much the crutches :crutch were slowing me down. So, I tried skipping a bunch of steps at the top of a flight of stairs at a movie theatre. Next thing I know, the crutches catch an in-between step and I tumble down the entire flight of stairs, crutches flying, boy in leg cast head-over-heels down the busy stairwell only to land the concession stand :duh. A sure-fire way to get a few worried looks from people. :blackeye

Yeah, I guess I'll just give it all a break!

Last edited:
A similar thing happened to me too, about 1 month ago i posted on the forum "Sore Lungs".. That was my definition of it. It lasted only for a couple of days, but i couldnt fully inhale or exhale at the time cause it hurt.. But dont worry youll be fully recovered im sure ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT