• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Oxygen Absorption through nose?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hypoxiajunkie

May 14, 2004
Does anyone know whether the body can absorb oxygen from water through the nose?

Don't laugh. Turtles can absorb oxygen from water through their trachea and anus. That is why they can breath both air and water.

I'm sure you can absorb O2 through your sinuses, just not very much. Running seawater through your nose might allow absorption of a tiny amount O2, but it probably wouldn't be noticeable.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

So you reckon that oxygen absorption from water would be higher than from the nose? (Just want to be clear here).

I think though the absorption might be low that it would be possible to increase it either through training, or diet.

Also I think that if o2 absorption occurs that this could make the difference between shallow water blackout.

Anyway I have no instinctive or physical averse reaction to inspirating water through my nose, even pool water though the chlorine is a bit icky.

Also I presume there would be just about no 02 in pool water. Or am I mistaken?

Anyway do you or does anyone else have some hard scientific data? I tried looking this up on the internet to no avail! (And I'm a professional academic researcher...) I haven't tried for sinuses and 02 absorption though... hmm...

Originally posted by hypoxiajunkie
Don't laugh. Turtles can absorb oxygen from water through their trachea and anus. That is why they can breath both air and water.
rofl rofl

I asked my Marine Biology lecturers about this. Got a few chuckles. The "arse-breathing" theory seems to come from the amount of time a turtle can hold its breath. But no one can ever cite an actual scientific verification of this "fact". Remember a turtle has an extremely slow metabolism, so its breath-hold is correspondingly longer than a humans.;)

If you think about it, in order to absorb oxygen, the walls of the lower digestive tract would have to be extremely thin, like the lung membranes. That wouldnt be a good thing when it comes to expelling faeces...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT