• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ozzfest fixed my ears!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

VaKo

Jan 22, 2002
Before i've always had a terrible pain in my ear when i went down to about 5ft, but since I went to Ozzfest (where i was stood about 20ft from one of the main speaker stacks) its gone away, just milidly irritating. Good or Bad?

Another thing, how can i swim underwater? I just seem to float.

Thanks.

VaKo

OzzFest fixed your ears...that's funny....Who knows, maybe being so close to the speakers and deep base dislodged something in your tubes...Maybe one of these medical junkies can give you a better diagnosis..

As for swimming underwater you may just need to compensate for you buoyancy by strapping on a weight belt...thing is though...you don't want to be too negative by wearing a huge weight belt (sinking all the time) You want to be slightly buoyant above 10-15ft and then after that depth you slowly start to sink...If you aren't going much deeper maybe a small weight should fix you up...

Good luck, dive safe, and not alone...

Dave

Just being curious: do you know how to equalize?
5 ft without proper equalizing your ears can hurt.

I didn't, (tried it once and it hurt like hell, figured I was doing it wrong so i stopped). Now at the same depth it doesn't hurt as much. How do i equalize?

I was thinking more at about 3 ft, just under the surface, in a pool, for about 2/3m.

VaKo

When you equalize your ears, you are making the pressure on the inside of your ear equal to the water pressure on the outside. If you don't do this the water pressure will exert a force on your ear drum and that is what makes it hurt.

One technique to equalize is to pinch your nose in such a way that no air can escape and gently try to blow some air from your mouth with your lips closed
You can try it out of the water. You will probably notice some sounds when doing this.
Don't force anything though. If you feel a pain, you are definitely going to far.

Sometimes it helps to move your jaw around a little bit.

If you search the forums for equalizing you will probably find more posts with similar or different descriptions of techniques.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT