• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pacific cup of Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Walrus

Oz freediver
Oct 3, 2001
G'day All,

just sharing my excitement as I am about to head off to the Airport to fly to Kona to the Pacific cup.....

I may be competing, I may be a reserve either way really looking foward to the comp, meeting fellow freedivers and mostly diving in warm clear waters of Hawaii !

I am part of the Australian team, we are heading to Kona a week early to do some training, diving and basically an excuse to have a good Holiday.

Some pre competition gossip:- France and Venezuala may not attend because of the recently imposed 70m depth limit for CB.

If I can get some internet access I may send a few posts on some of what's going on in the comp.

Cheers All !

Happy Walrus.
:D :D :D

Walrus,

Have Rip, your new house mate, give me a call when you guys get in OK. We'll hook up and do lunch or something.

DSV

Depth Limit

About the 2 teams that may not be attending.

There was a depth limit implimented due to the fact that there were only a few teams that registered with depths more than 60m and none over 70m including France and Venezuala. Every competition needs to know the depths of the divers before hand so they can have the proper amount of safety. I had to register my max depth last year before I went to Spain.

This is a combined event with static and now (due to the complaints, but not sure if) possibly dynamics coming into play in the scoring. In this type of competition anything can happen. The U.S. Womens team proved that last year when one of our girls samba'd in the Constant Ballast portion and they ended up in 2nd place.

Anyway this is going to be one of the best events (I think) because we have entertainment happening every evening. Bob Croft, inventor of "packing" and 1st U.S. world record holder will be here. An 82 year old "AMA" diver who has been diving for 60 years in the same waters off Japan and has never been anywhere else in Japan or the world to dive will be here. There is going to be a seminar on "physics and physiology" with some top doc's from around the world. And of course the proverbial showing of "le Grande Blue" in a real theater (I think it's the first time it's been shown in a theater since the 80's), but prior to that a behind the scenes look at "Ocean Men" hosted by Bob Talbot the director.

Also it's going to be one of the more high tech events with cameras attached to the bottom of the line with a live feed to the boat. And a hydrophone for communication to the safety divers and anyone else in the water.

Well enough babbling.:mute

DSV

Good on ya Wally....have a good time!
I guess I'm a "South-Hemispheran" too now, come to think of it:duh
Keep us updated amigo, we're all cheering for you.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

God i am so jealous of you guys
After reading 'dsv' post i want to be there so badly. I truley wish you not only the best of luck, but the best of experiences. Unfortunately, i believe anyway, that freediving is one of those sports where you don't get that many opportunities for "having a go" as an aussie would say. So whenever you get any chance.......god i wish i was there!!!!. Make sure you letus know how you are going.
best wishes
pete

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT