• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Padi Freediver - Experience???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sorenlund

Sep 29, 2015
Hi.
Does anyone have experience with the padi freediver programme?
Is it like SSI or AIDA?

Best
Søren

Sendt fra min SM-G900F med Tapatalk

I've done the PADI Freediver course recently but have no comparison to SSI or AIDA unfortunately ;)

Do you have specific questions?

Regards
Chris

Gesendet von meinem MotoE2(4G-LTE) mit Tapatalk

Hi.
I just want to know what you think abort it in general terms. Im considering becoming a padi freedive instructor.
What did you think about the instructors skills? What did you think abort the teaching materials? What did you think about the skills and skill training? Etc etc.

Best regards
Søren

I'm a Padi freediving instructor. I'll be happy to help if you have specific questions.
Regards,
Stephanie

Is the padi freediver programme equivalent to ssi, wsf raid and aida? Can you convert free between organisations? Are the required skills equivalent?

Best regards
Søren

interesting. It would also be quite good to know what the required standards are to become, or achieve PADI freedive instructer level/qualification. Is that info freely available?

Hi Oldfather. The information is indeed freely available, on PADI's website.

Hi Soren. Are you talking about the recreational programs or the professional programs ?

I too have questions about PADI, because I'm not certified by any group yet. Reviewing the information on the PADI website, it does not seem to say much at all about safety and physiology training compared to what PFI or FII say on theirs. Any comments from those with more complete information? My local YMCA is unfortunately starting to enforce the "no underwater breatholding" rule, and I'm thinking being certified might get them to let me start a freedive/finswim club. It's something I've been wanting to do anyway :)

My local YMCA is unfortunately starting to enforce the "no underwater breatholding" rule, and I'm thinking being certified might get them to let me start a freedive/finswim club. It's something I've been wanting to do anyway :)

Get yourself insurance (DAN for example) and arrange a short meeting with the pool/facility manager. Talk to them about breath hold diving and let them know you must have a buddy present, "is it OK if a buddy comes along to safety me?". I think once you can show them you have done everything in your power to be safe & responsible then at least you have done all you can.

With regards to PADI, the requirements are very similar to AIDA but just a little bit easier. Another thing to consider, AIDA is non-profit whereas PADI is for profit and has shareholders etc. to keep happy.
To me it seems that PADI had to 'jump on the bandwagon' sooner or later but if you are serious about becoming a freediving instructor look at getting certified with another agency first, then do a crossover if you want the PADI credentials as well.

Reactions: neurodoc
Hi there :) I have done PADI freediver and then crossover to AIDA and imo AIDA is much more detailed in its material...also AIDA is more demanding in terms of the requirements. However I think who teaches it also makes a huge difference too :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT