• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

PADI-type Freediving Education

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Is there a need to POSITION freediving as recreational diving open to the masses

• Yes

Votes: 34 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 48.5%

• Total voters
My god I hope this wonderfull pasttime does not end up like PADI...

I really disagree with PADI, they act like they are the authority on all SCUBA diving, yet they are still just a commercial organisation.

Often they teach the scientifically proven WRONG thing to do, and try and press teaching that incorrect skill because they say so.

Just a couple of small examples;

They teach in their RESCUE DIVER course that vinegar is what you put on blue-bottle stings..... when any surfer/diver/anyone with half a brain can tell you that all vinegar does is trigger un-fired stinging barbs in the tentacles.

They also teach that when rescusitating a diver while swimming to a boat, if the boat is more than 10 minutes away, you cease all rescue-breaths and swim to the boat as fast as you can...... now I dont know if its just obvious to people who have done CPR courses, but what happens after 10 minutes of starving the brain of oxygen? Thats correct..... death.

Whew.... glad I got that out of my system :t

That's interesting penguinator. I am a PADI instructor and what they teach is no different to other training agencies, the basics are all the same.

btw, putting vinegar on jellyfish tentacles was always the done thing where i i went to school on the South African coast. We used to get bluebottles all the time and kids were always getting stung. Lifeguards always treated stings with white vinegar. Its actually FRESH WATER that triggers unfired barbs.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilderness_jellyfish_sting/page3_em.htm
http://www.swordfishingcentral.com/jellyfish-sting.html
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=10

Regarding the rescue, where did you get that from? We teach to continue rescue breaths, on the surface, while swimming with the injured diver, until you reach the shore or boat.

Remember, the goal is always to stay safe yourself first.

(Read the following from the PADI instructor manual, just to clarify)

also

make sense?

Last edited:
Thats really weird...... what book are you reading from?

I was just reading my Rescue Diver book and it goes on about the 10 minute thing. I might be missreading.

Also, you would treat some jellyfish stings with vinegar but not blue bottles. The IDEAL method of treating bluebottle stings is washing the tentacles of with salt water, and then apply hot, fresh water on the afflicted area. But normally its hard to get hot water on it immediately rofl

which rescue diver book is it, and can you copy me the text here? the above is from my 2006 instructor manual.

bluebottle is still a jellyfish, and i agree about the hot water but if not, vinegar, meat tenderiser, or baking soda (??) hehehehe is good.

Ask the Aussies as well... use antipodean coastlings suffered many a bluebottle wrap around the legs in our youth
(and that was a loooooooooooong time ago)

I will have to get back to you on that one! Ill try find it in the text.

I remember it clearly because I when I was sitting the test I got the questions wrong, and explained why, and the examiner agreed that it was total *******s and gave me the marks (49/50 )

EDIT: wow I cant believe that word is sensored! Oh well I guess its primarily a UK website rofl

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…