• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Palawan Philippines

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Francesco77

Mar 26, 2018
Hello guys, anybody has info about where go to spear in Palawan? I will be there for few days at end of June.
I have 3 days to go to spear and I don't know anything about the rules, spot, boats to rent etc etc.
Somebody that can help me?
thanks!!

Hello guys, anybody has info about where go to spear in Palawan? I will be there for few days at end of June.
I have 3 days to go to spear and I don't know anything about the rules, spot, boats to rent etc etc.
Somebody that can help me?
thanks!!
Not sure if you can spearfish in Palawan. Just ask the locals and they will let you know. And if you can please let me know and were.

Spearfishing in Palawan is pretty much a bust.

Yes I just got back from the Philippines 2 weeks ago after having spent 1 month there. And yes I took a Speargun with me.

First off I didn't have any trouble bringing the Spear Gun into the Philippines. I simply told the airline check in desk it was "Fishing Equipment". The box did have a sticker on it saying it was opened and inspected in San Francisco by TSA. But other then that, no one in the Philippines so much as questioned it.

Well as for the local dive shops. You can forget about any of the tourist resorts / dive shops pointing you in the right direction as far as Spearfishing goes. They are making their money showing off the fish rather then eating them. You will find fishermen willing to take you out spearfishing for a few dollars, but these are net or line fishermen unfamiliar with underwater structures or shoals and if they fish for Yellow Fin it will be in waters +50 meters deep.

Where you might have luck is with the Filipino Dive Masters. They salivate at the thought of proper American Made Spear Gun but for fear of losing their job at the dive shop are reluctant to talk about it. Ask for a Filipino Dive Master. I do, they often times take me on better dives then the typical Kano trying to make it on Filipino wages. After a couple of dives together and a couple of pictures on your phone of the Speargun you have, they'll start to open up.

Be prepared to rent a little motorcycle and journey off the beaten path. I always do when I'm in the Philippines and its a boatload of fun.

Hey JoeFin were you from in NorCal? Your right about the Spearfishing here. I have been here for almost three months but were im at the divers here know the right boat owners and they know about diving and are good at putting you on the reefs we’re the fish are.

Hello guys, really thank you for the reply!
@JoeFin where did you find the right Filipino Dive Master? I'm planning to go to the north to El Nido, have you been there?
@diver278 after 3 months I'm sure that you can give me some precious tips....Can you?

I will be there from 07th of July to 16th spending probably from 13th to 16th to El Nido, do guys think that is a good choice?
Thanks in advance!!

Useful info JoeFin. I've met locals in Peurto Galera Mindoro at the more hidden beaches that have lent me their home-made guns, taken me out to a reef, and grilled my fish on the beach. This time I plan on taking a gun, probably a short one that will fit in my suitcase. Anyone know if it ok to have the gun inside your main check-in case/rucksack/duffel, or should it always be separate in it's own bag/box?

Francesco77, how did it go in El Nido?
I am also looking at Coron town as I read kayaks can be hired there which might be useful when searching for a good spot.

BTW I spent several weeks in Moalboal Cebu as well, the reef was calm, remote and undisturbed by boats I but never saw anything large enough worth spearing at that particular reef...

Hello, I will be on Kalambuyan Reef, Coron Bay Palawan on April 29. Currently browsing iprice.ph for diving mask.

Will you help me choose between these: Head by Mares Scuba Snorkeling Dive Mask Dry Snorkel Set. Black Bronze OR Westcoast Straighthooker Low Volume Mask and Freediving Snorkel ????

Hello guys, really thank you for the reply!
@JoeFin where did you find the right Filipino Dive Master? I'm planning to go to the north to El Nido, have you been there?
@diver278 after 3 months I'm sure that you can give me some precious tips....Can you?

I will be there from 07th of July to 16th spending probably from 13th to 16th to El Nido, do guys think that is a good choice?
Thanks in advance!!
Hi Francesco - A few years later, but I'm heading to Palawan next week with some friends? How did your experience go? Would like to hear about it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT