• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Panic attack

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jani

Oct 17, 2002
I also suffer a panick attack, and I haven´t dive since then. It was more than one year ago, and it was one of my first dives after getting my open water certification. I think the problem was that the boat was overloaded and I forgot my seasickness pills, so when we arrived to the diving spot, I felt completely sick, but as I thought that if I wait over the boat I just was going to die, I decided to dive. In the first moment it was good, but after a while, began to feel seasick again (under the water, I didn´t know it was possible!), and then I panicked and I went up without caring for anything, afortunately I wasn´t very deep. There was so many people that I think the divemaster didn´t realized that I had problems!
Another problem is that I made the course in the Red Sea (imagine, warm water, colour fishes all around), and since the few dives I had were in the Mediterranean (cold and dark water). I think I´m a warm water diver!
I want to dive again, as when I did my course I really liked it, but since then I haven´t had very good experiences, so I´m a little bit afraid and a little more lazy about it. :waterwork

Jani,
You need to get back on the horse that is if you want too?
I would recommend that you find a buddy that you know and trust find a nice safe puddle and do your training tasks again. Get the feel of feeling safe with you surroundings and your self; it’s the only way to get back.
All diving is 95% between the ears, which is your own inner control.

Dive safe

Bobco.

Dont give up on diving yet. I dont know if you are aware of how extreme the learning curve is in this sport! Think about it...you are learning to survive in an alien enviornment. Most likely, all of the skills you learned in the class were brand new to you...that's alot to learn. With time and dives many of them will become more fluid, or like second nature.

I guarantee that the first time you tried to walk you fell down...same thing here. Just alot of things going through your brain at the same time.

Consider taking the advanced class next as all it really is is several more instructor supervised dives in different settings

The bottom line is stop diving when it stops being fun, but give it a chance...let us know how you do!;)

Jani

I've only been on my certification dives, but I really enjoyed them. On one of those dive trips, a lot of things went wrong; I got seasick, and one of the students panicked and lost a fin and her weight belt. No one got hurt though, and it's the same with you. Try to chalk it up as a learning experience- don't forget your motion sickness pills, I know I won't.:( If you do more courses, you can stay focused on your instructor and realize that he/she is there to help you and will do their best to keep you safe. Just take it slow.

I've been a diver for a very short time, but I'm hooked. If you enjoyed it, maybe you should look into giving it another try. You know your limitations better than anyone. Take care, and good luck!

:)

I've been a tech diver for many years, and there are many advices I can give you regarding your experience. But there is one I would like to give you: If you are unconfortable about a dive, don't do it! Last year I dove the Doria for the 4th time, and while looking for souveniers, I got stuck on line from fishing nets.
At about 280 feet deep, I was forced to remove a big part of my gear to free myself from it. Thanks to experience, my buddy, and CONFIDENCE I got out of it, finished the dive and returned home to my wife and son.
Experience and good training are very important, and a good reliable dive buddy is also important.
It sounds like you need a better dive buddy, and I would even recomend you get a refresher scuba course.

good luck

;)

Panic Attacks

I am new diver and I witnessed a number of people in the class having the same problem. I must admit that I started to feel the same way when I watched them panic. What I did was put extra attention into my training and focus on the tasks at hand. Concentrating on what I had to do to stay safe gave me a feeling of confidence. I have also continued practicing on the dives that I did after OW certs. I have also registered to take a refresher course and begin AOW training. Practice makes perfect and the scenery is outstanding.

jani, i think many of us have been there. I was certified four weeks ago have about ten dives so i am still going through some similar things(although i am in hawaii and get to dive in some nice warm water). I will also let you in on a little secret, I don't know how to swim, well i can kind of tred water, but not really. Anyways on my fourth certification dive, my bc started leaking, apparantly a valve on my inflator hose was stuck in the open and i was sinking fast. Not knowing how to really swim or tread water, i started to panic. My instructor came over and was attempting to fix my problem, which meant he had to totally deflate my bc, well i started to sink. at this point i kinda panicked, swallowed a lot of salt water, and was trying to jump above the surface of the water and stay there. my instructor was trying to calm me down, but i had a good panic attack going on, so much i couldn't even talk, well he finally dragged me into about four foot of water, and fixed my bc. he asked me if i wanted to continue my dive and i couldn't talk, i was still hyperventilating a bit and well it was just downright nervous. but i thought i paid all this money, i am going to get certified, so i floated back out to the dive buoy, gave my instructor the ok, deflated and finished my dives. In addition to that I have been on a few dives where the water is a little rough and so again because i don't know how to swim i tend to panic a bit. My instructor was really good and he worked with me to calm me down and to teach me how to relax and be safe under the water. knowing that i am diving with highly compitent people who are concerned about my safety as well as my enjoyment, and knowing that i have been and know the skills i need to know to have a safe and fun dive helps me out a lot. I hope you can get over these panics. Diving is so much fun, as you probably already know. and if you ever come out to hawaii you will be able to experience so much more beauty than the rest of the tourist because you can go where few can go and see what few can see. good luck and God bless!!

JohnJohn,

Don't know if you noticed, but that post was from 2002. Never did hear what happened to Jani. Hope she is well and enjoying diving.

I may have a suggestion that could help you with your swimming. As you know the ability to swim adds to your comfort level in the water. Try this exercise on for size. This can be done at any depth you prefer.

If you snorkle, practice your swimming technique with the mask and snorkle on. This way you know you can breathe. Practice swimming slowly and work on getting a nice smooth rhythm.

As the rhythm gets better, practice breathing and turning your head as if you were taking it out of the water to breathe (make sure you do not submerge the snorkle).

Once you are confident with that, remove the snorkle and practice breathing naturally. Take everything slowly, it's not a race, you just want to get comfortable in the water.

Finally, practice laps, increasing the number until you can complete 200 yards (8 laps in a 25yd pool). The problem that most people have, is in controlling their breathing, which is what leads to panic. Once you can do that, you will realize that you ARE in control. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool:

Last edited:
maresman1,

hey bro, sorry i didn't get your name, anyways obviously i am johnjohn. anyways thank you for the advice. i will definately practice my swimming. i am actually getting a lot of practice swimming because all the dives i do are shore dives with fairly significant swims to the dive site. it is good to get any and all advice to make diving more fun, which i can't believe is possible. if diving gets any more fun i may have to quit my job, drop out of school, and become a dive junky.

so you are from new jersey. one of my really good friends is from east hoboken new jersey. how old are ya? anyways happy diving!

oh yeah and i saw that was an old post but ya never know if they keep reading. i hope he/she keeps on diving.

aloha

jj

From Where?

Glad to hear that you are enjoying diving. It is a wonderful new world and you live is a place to really enjoy it.

Yeah I am from Northern NJ, just a 1/2 mile from Hoboken in Union City, NJ. Everyone here is waiting for the big thaw as all of the water, including the ocean has loads of ice in it. Love diving as I do, I am not one for cold water diving (CWD).

I do however own a 7m Semi Dry, but I only use it when the water hits 50deg or above. In the summer when the water hits 75 and up, I bring out the 5m and 3 m suits. That, however is not until late August or September.

Good talking to you. Have loads of fun and be safe.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride

yeah safety is always a premium concern. after hearing about your conditions i am so glad i am in hawaii. we are diving tomorrow, on the south shore, maybe lanai lookout, halona blow hole, or portlock. we are also going out monday. i should have some pics up early next week. we are total picture whores. anyways good luck with the diving. i will be praying for a quick thaw so you can get some diving in.

Re: From Where?

Originally posted by MaresMan1
Glad to hear that you are enjoying diving. It is a wonderful new world and you live is a place to really enjoy it.

Yeah I am from Northern NJ, just a 1/2 mile from Hoboken in Union City, NJ. Everyone here is waiting for the big thaw as all of the water, including the ocean has loads of ice in it. Love diving as I do, I am not one for cold water diving (CWD).

I do however own a 7m Semi Dry, but I only use it when the water hits 50deg or above. In the summer when the water hits 75 and up, I bring out the 5m and 3 m suits. That, however is not until late August or September.

Good talking to you. Have loads of fun and be safe.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride

are you from the Norht of New Jersey?? me too...im from west new york nj I beeing in at scuba store in hoboken

saludos it good to know I find somebody that live close to me

saludos

Daniel....

Last edited:
We are close by

Neshamah,

We are very close as WNY is the next town north of UC. I also work with the Dive shop in Hoboken (Hoboken Dive Center [HDC]). I will be taking my AOW and Rescue diver courses there this summer.

Looking forward to getting some diving in on the Wrecks at the Jersey shore (must be AOW), along with the diving at Dutch Springs. Maybe we can get together at one of the HDC Club meetings.

Take care and hope to see you at HDC this year.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride

ok

Ok .. oye I have not car now to go the Jersey shore

can I enjoy the ride???

hey I do freediving! if that ok with you?

I know Jose the from the pershing pool di you know him??

saludos
Daniel....

Last edited:
neshamah,

You will not be able to do freediving on the Wrecks in NJ; too deep. :D I am sure that you could catch a ride with someone at HDC or me.

No, I do not know Jose from the Pershing Pool. Have only been there a few times for training or classes.

If you are not AOW diving certified, they will not let you go on the wreck dives until you complete your training.

We have plenty of time as the water is still too cold.

Cheers,

Dive Smart; Dive Safe

Hi!
Thanks for your advices, Johnjohn and maresman! I regret to tell you that I haven´t dive since then (almost 3 years ago!), though when I think about it I think it´s a pity. Now I am moving to a coast city in the south of Spain, so maybe one day I feel like trying again. But I think I should do my courses again!
Enjoy the underwater world, you are lucky!!!
Jani

Don't Give Up

Jani,

Sorry to hear that you have not continued diving. You sound like you would really enjoy it. If you are still interested, I would suggest taking the course again and going very slowly.

You had to handle too much at one time on your last trip. I would also stay away from the large boats, as you do not tend to get enough personal attention. The first dives after certification are always the toughest

Try to find a Dive center that works with smaller groups and personal attention. Work closely with the DI and tell him your past experiences and worries. Get comfortable in the water and take it easy.

Best of luck and I hope you give it another try.

Cheers,

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT