• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

pants vs. longjohns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JimGlynn

Jan 16, 2002
I am contemplating buying a cheap pair of johns, cutting off the torso and making a pair of pants to use in the warmer weather when the johns would be too warm under the top. Has anyone done this before?
Thanks,
Jim

High waisted pants

I did this once.

Now i always order it like this. I'm not a fan of neoprene. Least is best. I find high waisted pants are better for peeing etc in the sea, and dont constrict my chest impeding a full breath.

I watched the factory ( Cressi - Sub ) modify a suit once ( cut off the vest part ) and they said that the waist of the pants needed to be tapered a bit more after cutting the vest off otherwise it would be a bit too loose.

I experienced this minor looseness the one time i did it myself too. As such, i also ask for the top 4 inches on the pants to be of rubber, to the inside, so to help grip to my skin, and seal better, on my skin and not slide down.

Skin.

Skin- thanks for the reply. it looks like I am going to get a 5 mil custom from Elios with pants. Knowing what you know now regarding pants is there anything you would recommend?
Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,
I just got a Elios suit a couple of months ago. It's the first suit I've had w/ the high waist. I've got to say I love mine. I got the standard size 3mm just to try the suit. It's goldlined inside smooth outside. I will warn you it's a bit fragile but it really feels like a second skin once it's on. Some of the softest neoprene I've had. The second time I put it on I put a BIG hole in the midsection(my own fault) I kept on diving and even w/ that hole the top and bottom sealed tight and I didn't have any flow through. If you're going near the bottom just be a little more careful or possibly get the nylon outside. The high waist also allows for the unexpected "call of nature". Tested it, worked like a charm.;) Hope this helps.
Jay

Thanks Jay. My buddy Jersey Jim and I are going to get 5 mil customs in Heiwa with the waist pants. Gold lined, smooth skin outside. How long did it take Elios to make your suit?
Jim

Since mine was a stock size it only took about 3 wks from when I ordered it to recieving it. The folks there were very helpful. The suits are fairly easy to repair(I'd invest in some good wetsuit glue,not aquaseal, maybe ask if they sell it). If not the deeper blue store sells picasso glue.
Jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT