• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pararescue training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

holmesk

Feb 5, 2003
Hey kids, I'm currently training for Air Force Pararescue. I need help with my underwater training though. I will be doing underwater activities while holding my breath. It will be in a pool and only at 12 feet deep. However, I will be being harrassed by instructors and have to do things perfectly. I can do a dry static for 2:30 now. I'm looking for a way to relax and be able to hold my breath for at least 2 min. while in stressful situations. :duh I won't need to hold it for 6 min. like some of you. Thanx.

Sounds like an issue of comfort in the water and focus to me. Don't know that there's any great way to prep for that other than being in shape (including some apnea work like running or doing laps in your workout) and being mentally prepared.

Good luck!

-Michael

i agree with M-2 ... fitness and confidence
i've also been through some military "forced apnea" training

very different holding your breath when you're already out of breath! I did'nt know about freediving and freedive training then but i am sure if i knew i could do starics of x mins in comfort then
it would have helped mentally.

If you could practice wet statics with a buddy that is bound to be an advantage.
Also mix in underwater lengths with your normal swims like the way you mix in sprints into your runs. I think in running its called farleg? Basically get used to holding your breath under a bit of stress.

Big wave surfers train in similar ways for short duration breath holds under a bit of stress, some even hold onto rocks and run along the sea bed!

Keep the fitness up and good luck , tough course

Fartlek

Try underwater Hockey - great for training you to relax under CO2 stress.

Good suggestion Ben! Haven't tried u/w hockey before myself, but if that doesn't train you to function u/w and under stress then I don't know what will! I used to coach basketball and we used to run drills where the kids had to rebound and try to score while being pushed, slapped, and bumped. I'm sure you've got some buddies that wouldn't mind beating you up a bit in the shallow end of a pool while spotting you.

Cheers,

-Mike

Can you explain u/w hockey please. Do you need a lot of people or can you do it solo? Thanx for the help

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT