• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

pardon the question, but what IS a samba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LaJollaFreedvr

Aug 10, 2002
before i joined these forums i had never even HEARD of a samba, but i am familiar with SWBO (as all divers should be...) can anyone clear up what a samba really is for me? physiologically and its effects and how your reach it. from searching i have gathered that it is definitely not good but have not been able to !find out what it is!:duh :confused: anyone here able to clear that up for me?

Hey LaJolla! A samba often precedes a blackout. What I can tell you is from what I've heard and read, not from experience. There are others here who, I'm sure, will fill in the blanks if I miss anything. Basically a samba is a loss of motor control due to extended breathold or exertion while in a state of apnea (holding your breath). Coming to the surface is no guarantee that you're out of the woods. Sambas often happen at the surface as a result of oxygen debt and can result in drownings. That's why when doing deep dives it's always a good idea to keep an eye on your buddy for a moment even after he/she surfaces.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

Hay,

From the articles, some videos shoots and discussions on different forums, I believe that “samba” is a physical state of the body at the end of apnea – it is a state before a hypoxia state and a person has a lack of motorical skills – looks like an epileptic attack. Until now, I haven’t been in such a state /hopefully also not in the future/.

Samba is a loss of muscle control due to low oxygen level. In a hypoxic state, brain tends to keep all the O2 for itself, so first it "shuts down" the arm's and leg's muscles...

Cheers

tango

Hello!

If we are talking about samba...maybe a word about tango will also be interesting...what is this, when/how do you reach it etc.

10x, Matej

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT