• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Paul's article on the way it was

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

btweikel

Dec 15, 2001
I think Paul's article illuminates the difference between two very differant ways of experiencing the depths while holding your breath.

I think we should take this opportunity to refine the meanings of the words "freediving" and "skin diving":

Freediving: the practice of apnea submersion to test ones physical and mental limits or to bring about a meditative state of mind.

Skin diving: the practice of apnea submersion to explore underwater terrain, observe underwater life, or to spearfish.

Of coarse, many of us like to do both at the same time.

funny... just last Sunday several scuba divers asked me what there was to see "down there" anyway..as everything to see is in less than -20' of water (most minnesota lakes). My answer was "the rope". ;)
Good article Paul.
Fred

Hey Paul
Enjoyable stuff. Any way we can encourage you to write more?
Aloha
Bill

Paul's latest article is a great read, I really enjoyed it.

I felt an immediate connection with the diving he describes because I love freediving alone, just exploring and taking it easy trying to lose the outside world for a few hours. It doesn’t matter if I dive in a lake or the ocean and it doesn’t matter if I have been there before, there is always something new to see.

After thinking about it last night though, it occurred to me that the article was a bit at odds with one of Paul’s earlier articles - the one on Safety in Freediving, where he outlines some quite conservative buddy based freediving techniques.

I struggle to reconcile these two aspects of freediving within myself.

Is it possible to be both the lone explorer and the ultra safe buddy without compromising one of them in the long run?

From my point of view, I think that I am quite capable of being both but some might say that a solo diver is a reckless diver and can’t be trusted to be a good buddy? I know first hand that a lot of scuba divers, specifically technical divers feel this way about solo divers.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this subject from a freediving perspective?

Thanks

Ash

Paul's Article

I too enjoyed Pau's article.

Especially the mention of 1965.The year I got my first mask,snorkel and fins.Still have the mask and snorkel,fins were lost in a recient move.

1965 - I was 9 years old .

Thanks for the memories.

Ron

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT