• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

pee question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spaco

Jan 6, 2005
well,this is rather embarassing. evry single time that i'm doing apnea, no matter is it dry statics, walking apnea or in water it happens. when the contractions start i feel a sort of warm shiver starting from my diaphragm spreading down and my bladder lets go. i find it harder to control the urge to urinate than the contractions themselves. in fact, if i want to hold my breath further on i need to let go and pee. it occurs every single time no matter if i peed before starting my apnea. when i'm hunting that is never a problem, but imagine apnea walking in a park full of people!!! :duh
so i'm wandering, does anyone of you have similar problems? dipers, eh?
cheers,
primoz

Don't have such problem myself. I have heard you can excercise muscles around your bladder that would enable you to hold it for longer. Perhaps you could ask someone more knowledgable. Cheers.

Spaco

This is not an unusual problem and is actually a sign that your dive reflex is strong. The vasoconstriction increases the fluid volume at the core which confuses the kidneys into telling the body to pee :duh . I have noticed with the no warmup/no breatheup approach the dive reflex kicks in very strongly and have experienced similar results :)

You have a few options:
1. For wet statics and dynamics you can break the code of pool ethics and not worry about it(if you choose this option then drink 3+ litres of water a day so your urine is very clear/clean)

2. Do statics on the loo (this isn't as bad as it sounds)

3. Buy some adult incontinence pads (I have tried these :cool: and they do work even if they make you feel a little silly.....my wife thinks it's a hell of a joke)

I hope that helps

Andy

There is more about apnea-related incontinence on this thread...

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=57537"]The call of nature...[/ame]

Lucia

i've read somewhere about the Immersion Diuresis but i thought it occurs only in water. i guess next step- statics in the loo and pads!
thanks!

I've also heard that the need to pee shows that you are in a completely relaxed state. Someone once told me that if he pees without really thinking about it 2 mins before official top on a deep constant weight dive, he knows his prep is going well...

Donna

Not uncommon, although I myself get it in the very last stages of apnea (close to samba). In "dry" statics it is actually sometimes the reason I stop. On "wet", well...Let's not go there ;) But it sounds like you have a worse case than most, but still, I wouldn't worry too much.

On a sidenote, I've read that apnea is a common cure for paruresis (aka shy bladder syndrome) for some really chronic cases.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT