• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pelizzari 75m "record" dive - air in suit or extreme farting?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

x_yeti

Jan 1, 2006
Did the Mexican food from the night before kick in from 2:02 onwards or was this a 75m NLT dive?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhyj2VZGcFw]YouTube - Umberto Pelizzari - Record mondiale -75m[/ame]

There is no air in his suit. He is exhaling out of his nose, and the air he exhales flows up and rides the 'bow wave' from his head, creating an illusion that the air is coming out of his suit.

I do not think he is really exhaling from lungs. It is simply the air expanding in his sinus that escapes from his nose, since he took it off on the ascent, and hence cannot keep it in as you can when you use a mask or keep the noseclip on.

he had those heavy heavy contacts in on that dive cant see f all on the surface but can see reasonably ok underwater as long as you look straight ahead. the sp ws a little different back then too i think.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder what the deepest dive in bi-fins is. Anybody know?

The deepest one I am aware of was Martin Stepanek's 79m in Hawaii in 2002. But those were no freeding bi-fins, just short rubber fins. Finally, today there are several freedivers going deeper with no fins at all.

The last world record with bifins was Martin Stepanek with 93m at Cyprus 2003.

He told me his PB with bifins was 95m in Miami of the same year.

I personally would like to see a 'classic' category in constant weight where bifins are mandatory. Since many people spearfish with bifins, it is still interesting to see how deep people can go in them.

sorry for the dumb question, but how big do your sinuses need to be to be able to exhale that amount of air at say 40/50 meters?

If you look closer and more carefully, you'll see the air actually does not come from his nose or from his hood. As Eric wrote, it is trapped and formed by the bow around his head, but those bubbles are clouds of air from the bottom scuba divers. You can see it quite clearly at the beginning of the ascent that Umberto swims though several clouds. At the later moments, during the middle depth distance, it is not so well visible at the beginning, and it indeed looks like the air comes from the hood, but around 2'10" - 2'15" into the clip you can clearly see again a cloud of air from a scuba apparatus that Umberto swims through.

sorry for the dumb question, but how big do your sinuses need to be to be able to exhale that amount of air at say 40/50 meters?

Are you candidly insinuating that, therefor, the Mexican food theory must hold some truth? rofl

While we are at it.
Thought that the last ever CW world record with bifins is something worth to watch (and Stepanek, with a mask, made lots of bubbles too in the last meters of the dive). :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=els7NYCyU-8"]YouTube- Martin Stepanek Freediving World Record 2003[/ame]

Last edited:
Wow! Kind of anoying how they show everyone and everything besides Martin. I did see his powerful kicks in the begining. The guy is incredible! It's so strange to see the safety diver with the monofin and Martin with bi fins.

Last edited:
I did see this dive myself in Cyprus back then , while I was doing my warmup for an impressive 33m with monofin :blackeye:blackeye.
We had a gazilion meters visibility so could see almost his whole dive.
Very impressive and the guy has some massive legs !!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. Umberto eats lots of garlic in his pasta so the illegal propulsion theory is still possible

Did the Mexican food from the night before kick in from 2:02 onwards or was this a 75m NLT dive?

Not sure this is the case but i remember reading on the AA forum they used to do some dive just for the media and used to put some air from tanks inside just to create the bubble effects. I'll post the link in italian when i find it.

Not sure this is the case but i remember reading on the AA forum they used to do some dive just for the media and used to put some air from tanks inside just to create the bubble effects. I'll post the link in italian when i find it.

Finally a comment that makes sense! Thanks!

If you watch carefully you can see some bubbles coming from Umberto's nose. I don't know if those bubbles can account for all the air, but some.

There is no air in his suit. He is exhaling out of his nose, and the air he exhales flows up and rides the 'bow wave' from his head, creating an illusion that the air is coming out of his suit.
Either you have never seen anyone come back from a deep dive, or you don't have a very good monitor. Even if it did look like the air was coming out of his nose (which it clearly doesn't, look at 2:15 - 2:18) that would be an absolutely massive amount of air to be breathing. You certainly *can* breathe air back in from your sinuses, and even if he didn't, at the depth he must still be then (you can see divers above, and the surface further up, so, say, 15-20m) it looks like more than a lungful to me. I can't imagine he would empty his lungs after a 75m dive at 15m. Looks highly suspicious.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT