• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pellizari's Dives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Uli and Will,

Congratulations on the technique. I have not yet been successful with the "delinking" process, but have always cleared hands free, down to 28 meters or so, no problem. Do either of you guys clear hands free? If so, have you been doing it for a long time? I'm curious as to why I can't seem to get the trick and think my clearing technique may have something to do with it. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Connor

Hi Connor,

I can only equalize hands free "dry". When I am in the water and inverted usually at least one side does not clear, so that I cannot use this technique.

I am not sure about your theory: Dieter Baumann e. g. is very good in hands free equalisation, but can just as well practise the mouth-fill technique
(...) and people like Dieter Baumann say 'oh, I've been filling my mouth since the 70's.'
(Eric seems to have his doubts about the latter, so please read Eric's posts and judge for yourself.)

Regards
Uli

I used to only use tensor palatini equalisation (muscular contraction of inner ear) but switched to frenzel-fattah for dives deeper than 30m due to the lesser energy expense.
The best excercise to improve the technique is to do repeated negative packs.
1. Exhale to RV
2. Contract diaphragm as far as possible under ribcage and hold for 10 seconds
3. Relax diaphragm, and exhale created air
4. Suck air out of your lungs by lowering your jaw with mouth closed (pseudo mouthfill)
5. Close epiglottis, squeeze cheeks to exhale air
6. Repeat 4 & 5 until your diaphragm is right back under your ribcage, and you can't bring up any more air.
7. Hold as long as possible like this (pressure and hypoxia training in one)

I talked to a Greek/Dutch guy who was apparently going to translate Corso di Apnee, but I don't know if it's happening. When I see Umberto next I'll ask him about it. I may propose translating it myself if he is keen.

Reactions: fpernett and Jon
i like the negative packing exercise it is a fun time. the pressure is awesome even when i'm not in the water. when my diaphragm is under my ribs it feels so neat! i enjoy doing it during hugs from mom when she simulates water pressure by squeezing me because she luvz me. o yeah she a cheek kisser too she'll leave those red lipstick marks all over your face.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT