• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Permanent frontal sinus pain

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lambis

You take my breath away!
Sep 16, 2003
The last weeks I have permanent pain in the frontal sinus (over the eyes) if i dive more that 3 meters!!

I must dive very-very slow and equalize very hard for att go more that 5 meters.

I am not a alergiker, I dont smoke etc..

If I clear my sinuses every day like Yogis it is better but I like to know if it is any trick to fix this.

Lambis

This sounds almost exactly like what happend to me, a total sinus block following a minor cold. It lasted a month or so before I found a doc. He prescribed a short course of cortizone pills. Worked like magic. Physiologically, the tissues were still swollen and irritated even though the cold was long gone. Probably my attempts to keep diving made it worse. The cortizone has powerful anti-inflamatory properties and takes care of the swelling.

Good luck with your problem.

Connor

Connor

Me and my friend experienced the same thing. I had sharp pain between my eyebrows, and when i tried to dive it felt like I was going to explode.. However, it only lasted 3 days

Thanks I will ask my Doctor about cortizone pills.

I to attempt to keep diving and I think this have make everything worse.

Nasonex/Rhinocort/Becotide

I suggest that You use cortison spray because it don't affect the whole system (body).

I have sinus problems since dec 2002 and I have to take Nasonex 1-2 times a day to be OK in my sinuses....

Hello Peter

I have take Nasonex but I will try with some pils.
I have a great friend that is a Doctor and I have spoken with him before some minutes about this problem.
He told me that Cortizon pils are O.K: but only for a short time. After that you must stope to use them and go over to Nasonex. But I have my problem all this Winter and soon I will go to my village in Crete to have 4 weeks holidays. 4 weeks diving..
I really whant to have fix my problem until then.

BTW Any news about new Monofins? Are you still diving with Specialfins monos?
What do you thim about the new Carbon Dolphin Mono?

Lambis.

I have had the same problem - after recovering from a cold the sinuses remain blocked. Absolutely infuriating when you are in the best place for freediving in the world (Red Sea).
On Thursday during the CW competition I struggled to force air through the mucous, meaning the descent was very slow (1.5 minutes to 55m). Naturally there was then the reverse block on the way up at the same time as my mask flooded. I have taken cortizone and tried staying out of the water but it hasn't worked so far. Could air conditioning be exacerbating the problem?

Lambis:

I use among some other fins a Specialfin mono but I have not tried the Dolphin... My Specialfin mono is good.

I have a blade lamiated by myself and a friend and it's the best I've tried sofar, the general problem with all fins is the footpockets... Many blades are good but no footpockets today are good enough; if I want performance I need to use a too small footpocket and that hurts the foot.
If someone make the perfect footpocket, I belive all of the blades would be to stiff...

Sinus blocks can be caused by various things. In Will's case it sounds like mucous is a big part of the problem, so a simple expectorant might produce better results than an anti-inflammatory.

Still, 55m w/ a 1:30 descent and one sinus tied behind your back is pretty impressive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT