• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Phoenix, AZ

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

EdHand

AK water is C O L D!
Apr 23, 2002
I'm quite new to the idea of actually freediving myself, though I've known of it since seeing "the Big Blue" when it came out many years ago. My interest was kindled by a trip last summer to Kauai, HI. I did some snorkeling there and had a wonderfully easy time getting down to the bottom and spending enough time to actually look around. Bottom depth was around 7-8M and I doubt I was down for more than a minute on any dive but it was fun and I spent a good 45 minutes in the water before getting cold enough to be forced out (no wetsuit). Anyway, I'm in the Phoenix area and would like to know if anyone here is closer to Phoenix than CA. I'd be interested in finding a local freediving partner. My wife and I are about to take SCUBA classes but she has no interest in freediving.

Ed

Buddy in Phoenix

Ed,

I am in the Phoenix area and looking for a buddy. I sent you a note to the email address listed in your profile.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Chris H.

In short, probably not...

I got an email from Chris and replied but have yet to get any reply back from it. I have also PM'd him through the DB forums with no reply. So we have yet to speak.

I'm not familiar enough with the local lakes to head out without anyone who already knows them. What experience I do have has been in the Gulf and off Hawaii. And that has not been much. If your at all active and know of good local spots where the chance of getting run over by a boat is minimal, I'd like to hear about them. Or if you just want to compare experiences, that's fine too. Just email or PM me.

Ed and Duece,

I had some trouble with my DB login, but I'm back online.

A local dive instructor told me about a spot at Apache lake that would be good for freediving. No nearby boat traffic and deep enough (70ft+). I haven't been yet but I am eager to check it out. I understand it takes about 2hrs to get there.

Any takers?

Chris

get your dive flags dusted off guys!

AND

don't expect anybody to heed them. my buddy lives in the area (non-diver) and confirmed most boaters @ Apache are there to drink and drive.

Have fun...

chrish

hey can you somehow tell how to get to that spot? I'm probably going to dive there if i can find it. I need the info before thursday though.

Thanks

Boats and lakes...

My turn to be away a few days... Been chasing hiccups in my other toy (car).

I've heard what Octo said about the boats on the lakes around here on numerous occasions. I'd be very careful unless you can pick a quiet cove somewhere. I've heard stories from a local SCUBA instructor about idiots on jet skis doing doughnuts around his dive flag, while he was teaching a class at that.

As for me getting out for a freedive trip, I'm not holding my breath at the moment :eek:. My wife and I just finished our open water for SCUBA and are planning a trip in the fall. So any time we can get for playing in the water is probably going to be spent getting more aquainted with our SCUBA gear. For now my freediving is limited to the goldfish style... That is, swimming around the backyard pool like a goldfish in a bowl.

Apache lake

Duece,

I have not visited the location yet, but I'll give you what I have. My verbal directions are quite sketchy, so buyer beware.

The site is west of the marina on the north side near some steep cliffs. That may decribe the whole lake, but that's all I have to go on. I'd be interested to hear what you find. Drop me a private message after your trip.

Chris

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT