• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Physiology Behind Inverted Equalising

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

loopy

Deeper Blue Hypoxyphiliac
Oct 24, 2002
Howdy all - seeing as things have gone quiet, I thought I might start up a new thread with something thats been bothering me a while.

Why is it that some people can equalise inverted, while others can't? Are there any techniques to counter the effect of not being able to equalise inverted?

I've been depth limited for a while due to equalising problems, and only recently have I learnt the Frenzel technique. This is everything it's cracked up to be - I can now equalise instantaneously under water, but only upright. With Valsalva, it took a lot longer as I decended (before I could really only go deep on scuba). I've tried many different experiments in the pool, equalising in all different positions, with my head looking up, down,all around. The only thing that has really worked has been the Frenzel, head upwards.

If anyone can shed light on this, I'd be very appreciative. Understandably, it's something that I really want to learn.

Cheers,

Loopy

yawn

Reason for the head up/down difference is that the tissues in your throat move up when you are diving head down. And when the moving tissues are up, it is not easy to equalize.
Try to learn to control the muscles, which move your adam's apple downwards. These muscles are in action when you yawn. Check also from mirrow, what does your inner throat look like, when yawning. In yawn the e-tubes are open, although you are not swallowing. First the control of these muscles can be very slow, and you are forced to yawn many times during you train. Notice the scratching noise from your ears while training, this means that there is something happening in e-tubes.
Next try to learn to move adam's apple down just before making a valsalva or frenzel equalization. Now the equalization should be easier.
Next step is to learn all these head down. You can easily do some dry exercises by standing revered, head down, or standing with your hands and head. First concentrate only for the scratching noise. When you manage with it, add the normal equalization excercises.
Just before diving, do plenty of these exercises assiduously.

The adam's apple downward movement excercises were very time consuming in my case. After 2 months training, I learnt to control my throat muscles at will. Good point is that you can do the adam's apple exercise while driving a car, or while sitting in a bus.

I still have a lot to learn with equalizing, but this have helped me with the head down problems.

/teppo

Reactions: loopy
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT