• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso 3-finger Mitts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
I'll carry this over from another thread to describe the mitts that Ted, UNIDRNA, and I use for freediving and spearing during Wisconsin winters.

These are the seals on the 3-finger mitts. There are two of them. One is bare rubber and the second is Bio-termic.

Last edited:
This is a picture of the second seal made out of bio-termic. THis is what allows it to slide on so easy.

Jon

Last edited:
The inside of the mitt has two seperate parts. The part on the back of the hand is all Bio-termic.

Last edited:
The part that touches the palm of your hand is lined with nylon.

Last edited:
step 1

First I slip my suit on. I normally wear a 6.5 mm suit in the winter, but I just put on a 3mm suit to take these pictures with.

Jon

Last edited:
step 2

Next,

I fold back the wrist seal on my wetsuit to expose the bare rubber surface.

Last edited:
step 3

Now, I slip on the mitt and roll back its outer seal.
I then make sure that I tuck the mitt's inner seal under my wetsuit sleave.

Jon

Last edited:
step 4

I can now flip the wetsuit seal over the top of the inner dry seal of my mitt.
It really adjusts pretty easily when you have your wetsuit on properly- instead of just shoving one arm into it while you take a picture with your other hand.;)

Last edited:
step 5

The last step is to roll the mitt's outer seal over the top of the wetsuit seal. I can now put on the other mitt. The whole process takes less than a minute and the 3-finger mitts are the warmest thing that I have ever worn for freediving. I had some Viking Pro 3-finger dry mitts for scuba diving that are the single warmest thing that I have ever worn, but are totally useless for freediving.;)

The will keep all water out, or in:D , depending upon what your filling your suit with. I freely admit to peeing in my suit and need to wash out my mitts at the end of a dive as they seal so well as to not allow any "water" exchange- even after 3 hours of diving.:duh

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Jon

Last edited:
Thanks Jon,
That's good detail. I also noticed that my hands and feet are the first thing to make me get out of the water. Now it's warming up but next winter I'll be trying picasso's three finger mitts.

Adrian

Size...

Jon,

If I have "normal" hand size should I choose Medium in this model?

Different models differs very much, in one model I must have Large and another model Medium etc.

(Is this model big or small in sizes?)

That's a good question. I have had a horrible time getting Picasso sock's to fit me. ALL of their sizes were WAY off. With gloves i have had a bit better luck. I wear a large in the 3-finger mitts and an XL in their 5-finger gloves. My diebuddy, Ted, wears a medium in their gloves. I am about 5'10" and Ted is around 5'8". I don't know what I would consider myself in hand size??:confused:

I would think that in the 3-finger mitts a medium or large would do the trick.

Jon

Peter,

I'm 5'8" (173cm) with small/medium bone structure. I wear size "medium".

Jon is 5'9" or maybe 5'10" (177cm) with medium/large bone structure (sound about right buddy?). He wears size "large".

This may not pinpoint your exact size, but at least it's a start. Jon and I have the luxury of ordering everything in a size that will fit at least one of us....then the other buys (or reorders) the size that he'll need. That is why we have so much dulplicate gear. We're not trying to be twins :head. This has saved us (or costed us, depending on how you look at it) mucho dinero.

Ted

edit: Jon posted while I was typing my response. :duh

Last edited:
:D Jon is 5'9" or maybe 5'10" (177cm) with medium/large bone structure (sound about right buddy?). He wears size "large".

I'm working on becoming size medium buddy.;)

5'10" / 176#'s and dropping every day.:cool:

Though it's not cold enough here to warrant the 3-finger mitts, the double layer protection of the cuffs is nice.

What kind of seal do you have on your booties to keep the water out?

i think Jon has enough hair for insulation. he doesn't need a wetsuit anymore i think. :D

Reactions: unirdna
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT