• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

picasso black termic leg water stop issue

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jkivi

Jan 8, 2003
I just got a 52-ML Black Termic suit from diveinn. Tried it on and the top fits fantastic but the problem may lie in the bottoms.

It seems that the suit does not fit very snug down on the calf and more importantly at the seal near the ankle. I was under the impression that this seal should be tight on my ankle. Is this a correct assumption or is the correct wearing of the bottoms to put a pair of socks on the inside. Or does your picasso suit fit perfect?

Currently the way it is water is gonna run right up my legs so what is the point of having an oversized water stop. Or is there a way to shrink the size of the waterstop?? anyone? anyone?

thanks for the tips.

i have 2 of these suits. this is a pretty common problem. mine were a little loose, despite having the suits made to measure!
solution... fix it yourself. just mark off how much needs to be trimmed, then cut a thin V wedge out of the neoprene. it MUST taper in slowly and smoothly, otherwise your neoprene will kink horribly!! glue then stitch - bingo, all done.
cut into the neoprene in stages if you're feeling nervous and test it out before glueing etc. obviously take into account your sock thickness.
i get absolutely no water going into my trousers now.

yeah, figured it was going to be something like that as much Alun. I am going to go and test it out on the sample neoprene that I got. Maybe I should take some digital pics of it to show off my poor workmanship. hehehe

At the risk of being laughed at, I'll ask if you did the obvious. After you put the suit on, did you try rolling the cuffs up?(tuck the last 2-3 cm under) That's all I need to stop water from flowing through. If you include high top booties under, you could roll them too to get 4 layers. Nothing like making it 'just right' though.
Aloha
Bill

Thank alun, bill and sven. I haven't taken the suit in the water yet so when I go I will try a few of these ideas to see if they will work. The first obviously being the socks inside the bottoms. However, the bottom cuff is fairly loose. I would need a thicker bottom. The rolling idea is a good one too that I will have to try. Anything to avoid cutting up the suit. I was also thinking of doing something with thick elastic bands to close of the bottom seal. We will see. When I figure out what works and doesn't I will post it here.

---So, what happened, jkivi?
---Was it the cuff being too loose, or 'pilot error'?
---Can't imagine the cuffs being too loose if your boots are inside them...should make for a tight seal.
---Keep us posted :)

hey oceanswimmer,

yeah the cuff was loose. With the boot inside the seal isa little better but I still am getting a rush of water up the calf for the last two weekends. Next week I am going to try the rolling up the cuff idea.

I don't think I will have to modify them as much as originally planned. But a little cut out of the cuff with a resew would clean it up good. A thicker pair of socks might cure the problem too. :)

jkivi,
Thanks for the reply; and it occurs to me to ask what might be an obvious question...are the booties neoprene or lycra? I have heard of folks using lycra to ease the fin-chafing, but neoprene gives a better seal. [learnt this yesterday]
Good luck to you :)

yeah they are neoprene socks. Just a pair of kayaking socks from a mountain equipment store up here. Pretty decent in the summer but in the winter I am gonna need something else. Eventually I am gonna see about a pair of socks with some open cell on the outside at the top of the sock for a better seal too.

jkivi I have a 3mm apnos Mimetic that has the same problem being to loose. I use the ankle seal socks your talking and it helps. I do notice though after a few dives mine seem to compress down around the loose area and you can't even tell it was loose to begin with. no movement of suit around the calf or water transfer!!!

I have the same suit in a 5mm without this problem. I just wish they had a tougher material on the knees though!
anyone know of some good knee pads that aren't bulky in the water?
BladeRunner OUT

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT