• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso Commercial Termic.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
I was thinking about buying the Picasso Commercial termic 9mm as I hate being cold and spend long hours in the water. HAs anyone used this suit. If so is it comfortable or too thick? A friend told me that you can be just as warm with other suits eg. Cressi Supercomp. but that is only 6.5 mm.

Please advise

Thanks.

I spent 2 hours in 45 'F ('bout 7.25 'C) using a Cressi Competition last weekend. This is a 5mm suit that is a notch down from the super-competition. I was perfectly comfortable. Booties and gloves help too -- my friend had identical gear, but no booties or gloves, and he was cold. I had 6.5 mm 3-finger mitts and 3mm neoprene socks. My feet were a little numb after the swim, but I was otherwise comfortable. I was surprised by this -- I expected to be really cold.

As long as my skin is covered, I think I can easily tolerate even lower temperatures. Between the mask, hood (pull it down low) gloves and booties, there are only a few square inches of skin showing (all on my face, which gets kind of stiff and numb after a while).

BTW -- anyone use glide-skin triathlon suits for freediving (e.g. http://www.wetsuit.com/web/triathlon/mfs_fs.htm)? These suits seem like they might be ideal for freedivers, since they are designed for mobility, ease of breathing and speed in the water. Since they're hoodless, I'd consider them spring/fall gear.

Shanebrah,

The idea of a 9 mil is attractive but in practice, you're gonna get awful tired from just moving around in the thing. I have one with 7 mil arms and it doesn't get much use for that reason. I had a custom from the defunct Wetsuit Factory that was the same for doing urchins and it was a bear...

My 7 mil Commercial keeps me happy for half a day of deep stuff to 42 F as long as I have a load of carbs in me.

sven

triathlon swimsuits have more neopren on legs(5mil) than on chest(2-3 mil) because most of them don't use legs for openwater swimming. But most of freedivers use legs and don't use arms, so we don't need same kind of suit.

Reactions: Pezman
Merci!

Thanks for the triathlon suit reply, matthieu. Have some karma.

mike

Our friend Freediver 48, who died earlier this year, had a 7mm Commercial suit and he loved it, even in the Canadian winters. It was also very tough. Also VERY expensive. Let us know what you buy amigo ;)
Erik Y.

I can get a Picasso Commercial termic 9mm for under $300. The 7mm even cheaper.

Not bad compared to prices you guys pay over there.

Ted and i were out spearing for a little over an hour a couple of weeks ago. the water temp was 39 degrees- now it is frozen over.:(
I stayed very warm in my Cressi-super comp.
I did freeze my fingers pretty well. It turns out that I had a hole in the thumb of my 6mm gloves. The gloves are just a standard scuba glove. Does anyone have a suggestion about a good freediivng mitt? Unisuit mitts are too thick, and the last time I tried on a pair of the Picasso ones they were way too small in the trigger finger. I could have had a bum pair, or they might all be cut like that.
Any suggestions on mitts and where to buy them?

Jon

cold fingers

I was diving in February here in Southeast Alaska in water temp of about 40. My fingers got so cold it ruined the dive even though my body was warm. I was using 5mm five-finger gloves that leaked a bit.

I switched to a Harvey's 3 finger mitt with short cuff (made for using with dry suits, I think). Not sure of the thickness, seems like 6 or 7mm. They fit loose except for the cuff, which has a "semi-dry" seal. My fingers now stay positively toasty.
I think the key is a three finger mitt with loose fit over the hand and especially the finger. A little trick I learned camping in minus 40 one winter was that any constriction over fingers or feet means frozen extremeties. Loose fit equals good capillary blood flow equals warm hands.

So should I get a Supercomp, comercial 7mm or comercial 9mm.
Maybe even the new Picasso with double seal in the midsection.

I have just read an article of a top Spanish diver who cuts the shoulder straps of his "chicle suits" bottom. He then cuts again at waist level and turns the cut section inside out. He then reglues this so that the opencell from the bottom is facing outwards. When the suit is worn the opencell from the top is touching the opencell from the bottom forming a watertight seal. Sounds pretty neat.

The Supercomp has a rubber waistband attached to the johns that folds over in just the way described. This makes for a nice water tight seal around the waist. There is no better suit in that price range. Great fit and very warm.
jim

Thought I'd add my comments :

After some advice on the forum some months ago I bought a TopSub 5mm spearo suit (www.topsub.it).

This type is material covered on the outside for excellent durability and titanium-covered open-cell on the inside. The trouser-tops are also open-cell on the outside for a good seal. They have my measurement on file and I can call / email from anywhere in the world with the material choice and they will ship me a new suit!

It's my first non-scuba suit and so I have no real point of reference, but I'm really staggered by its performance. The neoprene is extremely soft and I feel almost naked (!) wearing it. The number of measurements taken seemed extreme, but the resulting fit is astonishing - there is no restriction of movement and no leaks. It's not too cold in the sea here (I guess about 10C) but I was HOT after 3 hours diving at the weekend.

I wore 3mm booties and gloves.

Everyone in the area has suits made there, but there are 'agents' around the world (including Australia), and I also found a couple of photos here in the DeeperBlue archives...

I paid about 200 Euros for the custom-made suit, and I guess this goes to show that good materials, good design, and good fit needn't cost a fortune.

Ciao

Al

For what they charge for a "chicle" material suit, Shane, I sure as hell wouldn't go off merrily hacking at it... The notion of a folding seal at the waist has it's merits. Never having had one, I'd say it'd be a plus, but my Picasso's fit me to the extent that I've not noticed any water pumping between the jacket and the farmer johns.

I just ordered and received my Picasso 3mil Termic from DiveInn and am looking forward to some warm water use.

sven

Cressi 5mm tested to 0' C

Took my Cressi competition out to a local lake to bob among the ice floes, testing the suit for comfort and studying ice in general for an upcoming "ice hole" dive ;). Spent 2 hours out there in perfect comfort, and I'm no tough guy when it comes to tolerating cold.

We dive in fresh water mostly, so I think that 0' C is about as cold as the water is going to get for me (and it warms up to a toasty 3.5' C at depth!).

Merry xmas all. Just tested my new cressi supercomp and my new omer alluminium. The suit is extremely warm and comfortable. Spend three hours in the water this morning and only left because i needed the bathroom. Thanks for all the advice.

Shane

Originally posted by shaneshac
only left because i needed the bathroom. Shane

?? I guess I know your answer to the "peeing in your suit" poll posted elsewhere on DB!!
I usually last 5 minutes before letting go....I think I might start peeing on the suit before I even get it on just to get it over with....Haha!! Just a joke:head
Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Selamat Idul Fitri, and Happy New Year to all.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Peeing in the suit I can handle!!!!

I was having some contractions (not of the diaphragm) if you know what I mean:vangry

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT