• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso Spuma

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lou

Aug 26, 2001
Hi Guys,
Has anyone got any experience of these fins, I'm seriously looking at investing in a pair. The advertising hype looks good but then it would! I've been told good stuff about them but would like some opinions if you've got any. I'll be using them for spearfishing to a max of about 25 - 30 meters, are they up to the job or is it best to go for a regular fin.
Thanks for the advice chaps,

While in California last weekend, I met with Roger Yazbeck of Picasso America and got a chance to see some of the new equipment that Picasso is coming out with for 2002. Needless to say, the freediving market is in for some real treats!

Regarding the Spuma - these fins were designed for shallow, rough water conditions, the kind you would typically encounter during the winter while spearfishing. They are a nice fin, but really are more of a specialty fin than a workhorse fin like the traditional long blades.

Since there pricing is on par with regular carbon fiber fins, I would look at what you will be doing most of the time whilst freediving and then make your buying decision from that.

As the adage goes - "The difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys..."

Thanks for the reply Cliff, I will be using them for spearfishing and it has to be said we have our fair share of rough shallow water here in Blighty. I've got a pair of Cressi Gara 2000 for freediving but found them too stiff and uncomfortable for prolonged spearfishing although good for depth.

spumas

hey guys,

i've been going back and forth with mr yazbeck on these guys. i was originally interested in the new 21-H carbon longblades, but now i don't know.

i too have the cressi gara's. they're the HF's, stiffer of the two, but i find them too soft for the spearfishing i do. i don't think they have a quick enough response, although i can haul some booty with them. it's just that when i'm on the surface fighting a fish, i feel i'm getting man-handled and pulled all over the place. and, when i'm coming up off the bottom i feel like a cartoon character running in place before they start to move. :(

picasso has a pretty positive review on the spumas. it sounds like alot of professional spearos are happy with them even in deep water.

i'm very curious about these fins now. i would definitely like to know if anyone out there is using them and what for.

later,
anderson

Spuma's

Mr Anderson - Over the past few years I have dove both the Cressi Gara HF fins and the Picasso Spuma fins. From my experience, the Spuma fins are not as stiff or responsive as the gara fins. If you wear alot of weight ie. 18+ lbs ( cold water diver ) and dive below 35ft. you may find the fins are unresponsive. It takes alot of power to move 200+lbs ( diver + weight belt ) from a depth of 2+ atmospheres. I love Picasso equipment and the spuma fins are great for fast shallow fishing at depths 30ft and above. If you frequent depths below 30ft you may wish to consider a stiffer fin. I also had problems with the footpocket seperating from the fin blade while swimming. Roger has told me the company has ironed out the problem with their newer spuma's. This year I plan to purchase a pair of Sporasub H Dessault radical carbon fins. Hopefully they will push more water at the lower depths.

went w/ omer

david,

thanks for your perspective. :)

i actually just picked up a pair of omer's millenium comps. i think w/ weight and everything, i'm about 200lbs as well. these guys have about 3 times the power of the cressi's. i'm pretty impressed. it seems that i'm going to have to alter my kicking strokes, though. they respond differently, but i've noticed that when you do get in their rythm, water's just cranking by you. :D

thank,
anderson

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT