• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

picasso team black vs. cressi 3000

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andyt808

Aug 4, 2004
Hello, I have been diving for a while, but have never used long blade fins. I have read some of the other posts and basically narrowed it down to picasso team black fins and cressi fins which from what I gathered are durable and suitable for a newbie to the long blade world.

Which fin would you preffer?
If you have used one or both what are the differences?

Thanks

One thing you should be aware of is that some people have reported stress fractures in the Gara 3000, and unlike the Black Teams the Gara's do not have a replaceable blade.
I have BT's and like them although the footpockets don't fit me as well as the Omer Millenium footpockets.

Huan

I can't give you a comparison, but here are a couple of things that will help you.

First, try them in the water. Even a swimming pool test will tell you a lot. Foot pockets and blades are very individual. Some people fit one fin perfect but can't hardly wear another. That said, I've worn cressis and the foot pockets are very comfortable on me. They seem particularlly suited for barefoot use.

Cressis are basicly flat bladed fins, if you do a lot of surface swimming, a blade with more angle to it will be better, other things being equal. However fit and the right stiffness are more important IMO.

Good luck with your search. You are going to like longfins.

Connor

Connor sums the Cressi's up well but as far as the reported cracking goes, I have hammer'd mine all summer and with no sign if damage at all. However, I also own a pair of old imersion fins which are nice to swim with on the surface, in comparison with the Cressi's are the bee's knees in that repect but dont even come close when it comes to getting you back up to the surface for a gulp. I wont/ cant profess to being any sort of expert and the best I can do is point you in the direction of the fin lineup, any questions thread in the freediving section, all 300,000 pages of it. Good reading it isnt but if your honest with yourself there's the best advice you'll ever get in there somewhere; see for yourself ;)

thanks for the advice everybody, I just saw the other post on fins and am working my way through all 4 pages of it. It seems to me like everybody has their own personal preferences and besides the cracking on the cressis the fins are all pretty solid, with the carbons being a bit more fragile.

I guess should just ask what fins do you use and why do you like them? Everything seems to be pretty positive about the fins, so I guess the fin with the most positive feedback is the best.

Andy -- I looked at Picasso Black Teams, the Cressi Gara 3000s and the Omer Milleniums....bought the Omers because I wanted replaceable blades, liked the fin pockets, and thought the prices on the black teams were too much for my budget, and the Gara 3000s (from DB store) required a huge premium ($50+) in shipping to get them to me. Plus, the Milleniums had been highly recommended by a buddy who bought them and loved 'em...and I was able to order and have shipped from source here in the US.

It definitely is taking some time for my feet to get used to the longer blades after years of kicking Mares Quatros (one of my favorite pairs of fins for scuba). Feet were cramping the first few times in the Milleniums, but now seem fine. Oh, I also bought a pair of 3mm Omer neoprene socks, and bought the fins just a bit large, to allow for the sock thickness. Makes for a very firm, yet comfortable fit...never feel like they're at risk of coming off or even getting loose, regardless of how hard I kick. Kinda wish they had a bit of an angle on the blade...that's only regret thus far.

as a user who had been used the gara 3000s in the water for surface swim for 8 hours on one of my previous dive, i ca definatelly say they are good surface swimmer with little or no real effort. I like to bump them on rocks and i do this almost every time while walking on rocks, they are pretty solid and i don't think they will break..

Originally posted by jimbodiver
Kinda wish they had a bit of an angle on the blade...that's only regret thus far.
What do you mean? OMER milleniums DO have an angle. :)

Well, my Milleniums don't seem to have much of an angle, if any at all. They're brand new, and they sit flat on the deck...no apparent angle on the blade relative to the deck when I stand there in them.

Maybe I'm just unaware of a very small angle that's built-in (could be 3-5 degrees?) Anyway, I was just thinking that if they had a BIT more angle, it might make surface swimming slightly more comfortable. I'm no fin designer..... ;) Just feeling the effects of kicking these long fins daily for a week, after never having kicked such long fins before. My feet are now (slowly) getting adjusted, and less cramping after kicking a few hundred meters at speed.

I'm happy with the Omer Milleniums -- don't misunderstand. However, I'm looking forward to trying someone's Gara 3000's, just to see how they kick....if they're any easier on the feet. ;)

The angle is between the footpocket and the blade. The blade itself (well, the part that's showing unless you look from the bottom side) is straight.
If your blade has no angle from the footpocket than it is different from any OMER millenium I've seen and would be curious to see them if you have a digital camera...

so are you happpy with the omer milleniums? I heard those were a good pair of fins, but I thought they were a little out of my price range. Maybe the quote I got was just a little high.

On a side note the fin angle helps you kick at the surface, but will it effect diving at all?

Hi -- the Omer Milleniums should be fine for both diving and surface swimming....removable/replaceable blades, excellent foot pockets (firm, but comfortable), and they DO have a reasonable amount of angle (between pocket and blade)...more than I realized when I posted earlier. Sorry. See photos attached.

fan9k

fanap

fanbr

No angle, 'ey? ;)
Originally posted by andyt808
so are you happpy with the omer milleniums? I heard those were a good pair of fins, but I thought they were a little out of my price range. Maybe the quote I got was just a little high.
I am very happy with mine. I would advice most people to get the medium stiffness (not competition) if going for milleniums (unless every fin turns to noodle under your massive legs). Price is about 60euro in europe last time I checked on the net.
On a side note the fin angle helps you kick at the surface, but will it effect diving at all?
Opinions go either way. I think it cut's down to personal preference at the end.

thanks for the advice. It is nice to go look at some long blade fins actually knowing about the fins.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT