• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso Tigre Kife

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mattedhead

Drying up inland...
Aug 28, 2002
Does anyone here have any experience with the Picasso Tigre Knife? I was considering purchasing this to replace my primary dive knife. My only concern was the ease of removal from the canvas sheath at depth. Any info that could be passed along would be great. Thanks.

The knife looks good and is of good shape for a freediver. It's not too difficult to draw from the seath; on the contrary it might fall out on its own if not properly secured.

The other thing is that the knife is far too expensive for the quality. It seems it is just stamped out of sheet metal and then the straight and serrated edges are crudely grinded out. You'll have to grind the blade again your self if you are going to use it for anything else than sticking trough something.

Ossi

Just got this knife and only had a chance to use it once - my first impressions:

1) Nice look - heck, that's the primary reason I got it :eek: Yes, I'm vain.
2) RUST! Just on the ride home(granted 4+ hours), there was a bunch of rust stains I had to scrub off. One lazy day after diving and I fear I'll have another rust-encrusted knife.
2b) There are a bunch of holes in the knife for duties such as spear straightening, spear extraction, etc. that as far as I can tell, do little other than serve as rust culturing centers.
3) Not very easy to take out of the sheath - note, not very difficult either. It would help to have a piece of rope with a knot hanging out or something to grab onto. Rope tied around the handle would be an open invitation for rust, so that's not a viable option. Also, please note that this was with 5mm gloves - I'm sure 3mm or bare handed would be a lot nicer ;) In any case, unless you have tiny hands, the most accessible way of extracting is to start pulling with your thumb and forefinger - dexterity that shouldn't be a requirement in something that also qualifies as an emergency tool. If I had to take it out in a hurry, I'd have a lot more dificulty than with many other knives.
4) WATCH OUT! When re-inserting your knife into the sheath, the narrow entrance may be a recipe for stabbing oneself throught the arm/leg. I'm wary about that, so take special care not to do so ;)
5) I've seen scars of people who have had the knife eventually cut through the bottom of the nylon sheath as well. Mine is still basically new, so not really concerned yet.
6) The line cutter on mine is worthless - have to re-sharpen or something. The serrated edge isn't bad, but needs work. The point is perfect and the best part of the knife. Great for braining fish. Of course, for smaller fish I found it quicker and less of a hassle to just use the spear point to brain the fish.

I have a few more random observations, but I'm at work, so should be getting back to doing something more productive. :naughty

My overall feeling of the knife is that it's not as functional as it should be and really isn't worth it. I love picasso stuff, but I'd rather have a more dependable knife that I can abuse and not have to worry so much about rusting over or self-inflicting wounds. Of course, I'll still use it because it looks dang cool; however, I think I'll probably get another new knife soon. :D

Thanks for the input...since you have talked me out of the tigre, what other knives seem to be working well? What about Riffe's?

I like the riffe knife because I primarily use it as a braining tool.

The only downsides to it that I found were:

* It didn't seem to hold an edge as well as some of the other knives I've had - not really a problem because I used only the point 99% of the time.

* You may want to re-rig it. The loop holding the handle of the knife in isn't exactly the best design. I've seen a few knives get lost this way. First time I used it, I had a fit trying to get it out with my 5mm gloves. By the second time, it was much easier.

:)

Hey Matt,
I've got the riffe and it does a pretty good job on most fish. I like the longer narrower blade of the esclapez orphie or a similar model. I believe sporasub makes something similar.
Jay

Thanks Jay...Have you thought anymore about going to Frying Pan Shoals Tower this weekend? I will be diving 23 Mile tomorrow and see what the vis is like. Looks like it should lay down for the weekend.

Hi Matt
I've got to play it by ear. Got some family things I may need to take care of.
Jay

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT