• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso wetsuit advice!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Garfish

Jun 1, 2003
Hi all:

First time here for myself and considering to try out freediving as a new sport.

For the past some years i have been into scuba and thought to try out something a little different. I have been reading up on all the different brands of wetsuits for freediving and thought i would go with the Picasso line . What i have seen in this forum the Picasso," Apnos Mimetic "would be a good basic suit for the money and a new diver.

A couple of question that i have is what type of rubber does Picasso use for their suits. I know it is Yamamoto, but is it # 39 or ?= Apnos.

Being new to freediving i seen so many different patterns on the wetsuit exterior. How does one go to pick out a certain color scheme. Is it important to one's area or terrain where diving?

One last question , i hear these suits are pretty stretchy. I was wondering if one should downsize from a large to a medium for fit or go with size chart of Picasso. "i'm hard to fit" usually i go with a large.

Any other thoughts or comments anyone have to help out would be aprreciated .

thanks all......

Garfish:

Welcome to the forum. Wetsuits huh? There are many good brands of suits. Picasso is good, so is OMER and many other brands. Those size charts are pretty good and I would not size down. I too am hard to fit. I needed to size up because I am short but stocky. I recently bought an OMER and needed to do some customizing to the lower legs to get it to fit snugly. Now it is the warmest, most comfortable suit I have ever used. There are a lot of threads on wetsuits on the forum and if you do a search, you will be able to find some very valuable information. There are threads on different suits, materials, linings, you name it. There is acutally a recent thread on custom suits from Elios. This would be another thread to look into. Don't rush into getting a suit. Some people think a suit is a suit. Read up and do some research before you buy. As far as color, it all depends on what type of diving you will be doing. If you are a hunter, think about the type of terrain you hunt then go from there. Personally I stick with a pure black suit. That way you can blend in while doing different types of hunting (reef, blue water). The more you freedive, the more you will realize that staying calm, looking non threatening, and avoiding eye contact is more valueable than a camo suit. In any case welcome, search past threads, and don't make a snap decision.

Brad

Reactions: unirdna
thanks for the warm welcome.....

Hey Brad:

Thanks for the warm welcome & general info. i appreciate it.
Since last that i have seen your reply, i have been more fimiliar with this forum and checked out about everything that pertains to freediving alike.

yes, i'm in no hurry to buy a wetsuit yet until i see what others like yourself have to comment about,what material and duribility of wetsuits ect., that the different mfg. have to sell.

As for picasso in which has a great suit "a little pricey" i have also checked out Omer & Eli-sub . They both have a great suit line espicially Eli-sub, but i hate the hasle and sometimes hesitant about buying overseas. Would be nice if some of these mfg. would establish their wares over here in the usa. Seems like the Italians have the edge on these suits.

After hearing about the new generation of freediving wetsuits for this sport in which the flexibility of the material that they use for comfort like Yamamoto rubber being asum, it would be a privilage to trade in my old somewhat restricted Scuba wetsuit & tanks and be like a fish!

Now guys when i get into the water and about ready to accend to the surface, i don't want to remember the old saying in scuba class that they beat into your head..." quote"... NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH..........ILMAO .. I think i would be shit out of luck.
Next in line to buy will be the accesories....

safe diving:

sam::duh

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT