• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

pics from saturday

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002

Attachments

• picture 007.jpg
    picture 007.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 875
50 miles offshore at noon:head

Attachments

• picture 005.jpg
    picture 005.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 855
65 miles out at 1:30

Attachments

• picture 006.jpg
    picture 006.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 856
rig was in 160' I would have prefered to use my float but see all the boats in the 3rd picture....it would have been a mess so I went with the small gun. Having dove this particular rig many, many times I knew to expect aj's no bigger than 35-40 max but this is the place Andy and I got all those BIG pompano last summer.

Hi Rig,

Nice pics, looks like a real nice day. Thanks for posting them.
I was surprised to see three other boats on a single spot, 65 miles off. Is that normal?

Connor

yup, 'fraid so. Actually there were 5 other boats but two were pulled of fighting aj's at the time. As of now, snapper season is closed so those of us with a hankerin for some offshore spankerin are forced to go aj fishin which puts us all in the same area. This is one of the closest spots to catch them. Once snapper season is open, many boats wont make it that far out. Those boys on the 32 regulator(blue hulled) are just waiting for the marlin to move in about 90 miles out in the next month or so.

Last edited:
also, that rig is a little over 60 miles from the port I left from that day...had I left from my usual marina it is 55 miles, leave out of Pascagoula and its a little less than 50...

Nice pics, especially the Amberjack :p
Interesting to see how the conditions changed from one hour to the next, as far as the fog. How the heck do you predict what the weather will do....guess that's called experience, eh? :cool:

rigdvr,

where do you leave out of?
Im going to Tulane university this fall and was wondering how far away you are from new orleans?

New Orleans is about an hour and 15 min away...straight shot down I-10. I leave out of the Gulfport/Biloxi area and often the Venice Louisiana area for bluewater which will only be an hour for you. Let me know when you get here and we will introduce you to hunting like you've never seen.:D

As for the boats...they stay off the rig a little and I hug the rig leg. I stayed out of their way and they returned the favor. Everyone got plenty of fish and went home safe.

weather-wise and especially with fog, there is no predicting it at all, at least in new england... it could be 80° with unlimited vis one minute, and all of a sudden you're in a cloud... thats half the fun of offshore fishing :-D

Alright dude. Keep me informed and Happy Mother's day you mother ____( lover that is)..ha ha.:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT