• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pipe Mask Tutorial

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Acidjack

Sep 22, 2016
Hi everyone,

i finished my Pipe Mask today and i want to share with you how i did it.
Sorry for my possibly bad english.

So at first i read everything about Pipe Masks i could found at google and here at DeeperBlue , what wasn´t very much, but enough to build one.

At first i bought different stuff i would need as you see in the picture below.
1. A Bite Valve (~7€)
2. A piece of a pencil which fits perfect in the end of the Bite Valve. (~o€)
3. Parts of different Ballpoint Pen reservoirs, two are made of metal, one is made of plastik. (~0€)
4. Some sandpaper to make the surface of the things wich need to be glued rugged. (~0€)
5. Aqua Sphere Seal 2.0 Mask (~30€)
6. A syringe for better gluing. (~0€)
7,8. Glue (Uhu) and a special epoxy resin (Pattex) (~8€ / 6€)
(9.) A aquarium air hose. (Is not at this Picture.) (~3€)

a.jpg

Here´s the Bite Valve:
b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

It cant pass air or water throught it without pushing it.
It perfect for this use, you can remain the valve in your mouth even if you have a strong mouthfill, without blowing all the air through your mask.
You also can put it out of yor mouth under water and at the surface, even with strong negative pressure, no water will enter.

The next pictures show the different parts of Ballpoint Pen reservoirs, a dremel which is realy helpful, by cutting, grinding, and drilling, and my experiments with different materials and glues.
At the end i decided to use the Pattex epoxy resin and the very left, small metal tube.
Both together built up the strongest connections.
f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg

Then i drilles a hole into the mask, glued the metal tube in it, i glued from both sides carefully.
j.jpg k.jpg l.jpg

Maximum number of pictures reached.
See you in the next post.

so after gluing in the metal tube, i attached the aquarium air hose to it.
m.jpg

then i glued together the aquarium air hose and the plastik piece which fits in the bite valve.
n.jpg o.jpg

Ready:
p.jpg q.jpg

Hope for some feedback and probably some additional ideas.

Adios:D

My first question would be what does this accomplish? If you are deep enough the pressure will overcome the camelbak seal and flood your mask with water.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

As i already said, this will not happen.
Your eyeballs will pop out before, i testet that :rolleyes::D
The physique of the bite valve is made pretty good for this conditions; it cloeses even thigther with negative pressure inside.
And of course the pipe mask is made for wearing a noseclip and equalizing ears and mask both handsfree.
Can´t you imagine?
You go deep, negative pressure builds up inside mask and earsy, you equalize your ears with the help of a nose clip, then you just bite at the bite valve for a second and your mask also will be equalized. Taddaa :D

Hope i could answer your question.

Looks rad! My only suggestion might be to use some angled tube fittings so the hose sits closer to the face and is more streamlined.

Anyone know why this type of mask is not more popular? Is it not legal for competition?

Ah yeah, good idea thanks!
Have seen it in some videos, in "Haven" from Nery. Herbert Nitsch also used it in a competition several years ago.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT