• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pipin did 170!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

thud

Sep 4, 2003
Go Pipin! Enough for all those theories that he couldn’t do because, he was to old, mental attitude was off, etc..

What the status of the AIDA recognizing the record? Did they send officials?

Last edited:
Reactions: donmoore
Congratulations pipin

Congratulations to Pipin for the record- please people I know there is some contradition whe talking about pipin- but give him change- he is only a human with a opportunities for God to do his will

I will be happy to see people that has something negative about pipin - to write him -and forgive him- lets give him a change..

the only way to be unity is to forgive each other..otherwise we will continue in one relationship of opposition .God call us to be at peace when It depend on us...

saludos

Daniel.

I'd like to extend DeeperBlue.net's congratulations to Pipin on his dive.

I'd also like to clarify that people are allowed to talk about his dive, but not about any issues around Audrey's accident.

Thanks!

Reactions: unirdna
pipin breaks record

No limits for free diving record breaker
October 13, 2003

Cabo San Lucas (Mexico): Francisco "Pipin' Ferreras broke his own world record for "no-limits" free diving yesterday, descending 170m into Los Cabos Bay on just one breath of air.

The historic dive took about two minutes and 40 seconds and saw Ferreras plummet to record-depth using a weighted sled, then rocket back up to the surface when his air tanks inflated.

Decompression wasn't needed because he didn't breathe in any air during the dive.

Ferreras, who was born in Cuba but lives in Miami, founded the International Association of Free Divers. He set the previous record of 162 metres in January 2000.

Yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of the death of his wife, French-born Audrey Mestre, 28, who died after plunging into waters near La Romana, Dominican Republic, with a target depth of 171m.

Dressed in a blue and black wet suit, Ferreras took more than 20 minutes to prepare mentally and physically for the dive, floating on his sled under a hot overhead sun in the middle of a calm bay.

Dozens of spectators watched from a nearby inflatable pier set up for the event. The crowd, which fell silent so as not to disturb him before his dive, roared when he disappeared underneath the water.

When Ferreras emerged, fans presented him with a bouquet of white flowers, which he threw into the ocean one-by-one in a solemn ceremony commemorating the loss of his wife.

Among those watching from the floating pier was director James Cameron, who called a news conference in the resort city of Cabo San Lucas on Friday to announce he was using two mini-submarines loaded with cameras to film Ferreras' dive.

Cameron also said his production company was in the process of obtaining the rights to make a film about the lives of Ferreras and Mestre.

"We haven't begun casting; this is something that's just beginning," the director said.

Also among the spectators yesterday was Mexican-born actress Salma Hayek.

Ferreras did not speak to reporters after his dive, but said before it that attempting to break the world record "made him feel more alive than ever," despite conjuring up sad memories of his wife's death.

"More than a record it's a tribute to Audrey," he said. - Sapa-AP

Epic! What a dive, and with so much ridinging on it. Makes for a good story too, should be good to see on the big screen. I imagine the film will do even more for freedivings' popularity than the Big Blue.

Last edited:
Nothing but honest respect for this amazing act.
And to do this with so much extra emotional stress etc is almost unthinkable. My preformances already drops after a bad day at work. Imagine what must have gone through Pipins mind during this dive.................

Truly an amazing dive from an amazing athlete.

Thanks for posting that statement Eric, it really shows what he's been going through.

Aaron

Congrats to Pipin! An awesome feat; especially considering the stress he has been under (the death of Audrey and the controversies swirling around it).

Can someone please clarify for me why AIDA was not there and does not recognize this (obvious) WR? Back in August I understood the reason to be that he had not done the correct paperwork in time for that earlier announced record attempt. Enter Jim Cameron and the attempt is reset for October. According to my read of the AIDA website, specifically the section on record attempt requirements, it says a period of 6 weeks from application to attempt. Postponing the attempt to October should have removed any possible lack of notification or paperwork issues.
Other than websites like this one, in So Cal we're in pretty much a media vacum for competitive freediving coverage, so perhaps I'm a bit uninformed. But I would imagine that with the presence of Cameron (and his submersables), the world press, etc.. this was a major event down there. Boxing has often had these inter-organization rivalries, with each failing to recognize the other's champion. But when the WBA'S heavyweight champ punks the WBCs' in the ring with Howard Cosell and the rest of the world watching, everyone tends to recognize the true victor. I can understand if someone goes off to some secluded bay with only their own cronies and goes for a WR, a rival org may have room for doubt. But was'nt this a much filmed, documented, media watched major sporting event?

Sincerely,

Roan
(baffled in So Cal)

Bravo pipin!

Lots of talking around this new attempt. He said he would accomplish it and he did the 170 meters.
Bravo Pipin.

Roan,

As I understand it, with most of my info comming from the SI article of June 16 '03, Pipin seperated from the AIDA quite awhile when he formed the IAFD. The article also mentions that the AIDA will not certify any WR's set while using less than their own standards of safety. As I understand it, the IAFD has different safety standards than the AIDA, and while I don't know what safety protocalls were in place during this record attempt, it seems that if they were less than AIDA's standards that would explain AIDA's absence as well as their lack of recognition. This is how as I understand it from what I've read. Hope it sheads a bit of light on the issue for you!

Aaron

Congrats for Pipin and respect :)

We can say a lot about Pipin, IAFD, differences in safety protocols between AIDA and IAFD but what I'm trying to say is that Pipin still dives and set records (recognised by AIDA or not) and it's good.

regards for all :)

Any word on whats been happening with the IAFD? I tried to make some inquiries on their webpage but got no response, are they going to dissolve now that Carlos Serra has officially left he organization?

Hi

Well It has nothing to do with the record// but I want to express my feeling - I feel here in deperblue like beeing in my house..thank you all people from deeperblue... keep the unity. and keep the good work- and safe dive y sigan haciendo record que eso esta bueno

Blessing

Daniel.

-------
Pipin made a statement before his dive:
http://www.iafdusa.com/News/10.10.03.htm
-------

A very straight forward and honest text. Displays all the problems around his person these days. Sounds like he had a lot he needed to get out.

What the hell, leave him be. I just wish he could have had this dive approved by AIDA, and then all discussions could've been closed.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT