• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pipin did 170!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Chris E.,

Do you have any info or insight as to why the dive could not be AIDA approved? I hate to belabor a point (see my earlier post in this thread) (and Aaron, I did read and appreciate your response) but I'm still kinda wondering: was it a paperwork thing or the same IAFD/AIDA differences of safety standards?

Last edited:
Roan - it is a combination of things.

AIDA requires a minimum declaration date (I think it is 6 weeks) before any record attempt. The athlete also has to be an actual member od AIDA International or one of the affiliates that AIDA has in various countries.

Depending on the type of record, 2 - 3 AIDA judges need to be present to verify the record according to AIDA standards. It is also the responsibility of the athlete to pay for the judges to be present as well.

It has been well documented that the IAFD does not and will not adhere to AIDA safety standards and as such, the non-recognition of this dive.

Pipin is not a member of AIDA, he wasn't willing to pay for judges to be present, and he refuses to adhere to AIDA standards for safety.

Last edited:
Thanks Cliff,

Its nice to hear from someone who actually knows!

I have the utmost respect for Pipin's dives, however I am glad as well that the AIDA is holding fast to their standards. Without them this sport would rapidly become deadly. That being said however, people will always continue to do things that are less than what we consider safe. Me going freediving solo for one! But I believe although controversial, the AIDA's position here is for the bettering of the sport.

I wish Mr. Pipin nothing but the best in his dives!

Aaron

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT