• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pipin's book "The Dive"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Juan-John

Aug 4, 2003
Anyone read Pipin's book "The Dive" yet? I've seen a couple of reviews on Amazon -- good and bad. Haven't bought it yet, but from what I read from the jacket cover at the B&N the other day, looks kinda neat.

Hi, you know I had it in my wishlist on amazon. Just today I was in Barnes and Noble and saw it. I just browsed through it and talks a lot about the history of the sport and other important dates and information of champion freedivers. i decided to buy it.

If you are in freediving I highly recomend this book. Also there aren't much books published on freediving and having this book and all the cool photos and info is well worth every cent for somebody who loves freediving.

Roberto Zuniga

There's a snippet (about Audrey's dive) available
here to give you a taste.

Quite a chilling read :(

Thanks for the link.

It was indeed a chilling read.

Pipin is a difficult man to figure out. There are several articles on the net about the dive, and his life in general. Plus interviews. They all paint a different picture...

There was also an article in Sports Illustrated, where they showed a photo of Audrey, as she was transported to the hospital. She had this strange look on her face. Eyes glazed...like she had just woken up from a deep sleep. She didn't even appear to be dead.

That excerpt had been published in the UK Sunday Observer a couple of weeks ago.

I've got a copy of the book on the way - I think I will review it for Deeper Blue.

I've already filed court papers to change my name, and made an appointment with an excellent plastic surgeon in Helsinki, so I'll be fine going forward. No worries.

Paul Kotik,

What is your email address, I have some very interesting information about the book you may want to know before you read it and write a review.

Paul Streeter

Excerpt of "The Dive"

I don't know what to say. :(

Paul Kotik, I would be interested to see your review of the book.

Paul Streeter, is the information confidential or is it OK to let me know? Don't worry if you don't want to share it, I won't mind.

Lucia

What a sad and strange story

Very intense.
Some pretty obvious gaps in procedure. I would think it best to err on the side of caution.

I saw the book at the bookstore the other night and was about to buy it.

Then, I started to page through it. It's mostly a bunch of high gloss pictures of Audrey with a few pages of text here and there. For the $26, hard cover, price I decided to wait until it goes on sale or comes out in paper back.

Anyone know when Umbert's book is going to be translated? That's the one I have really been waiting to buy.

Jon

my copy arrived yesterday and i read it all today in the space of a few hours. i just couldn't put it down. it's a very moving tribute to Audrey. Pipin seems to really opens up in this book - it's a very honest account of the life he shared with Audrey. reading it bought back a lot of memories of that sad time.

Jon, if you mean Corso di apnea it has been translated and is being pblished right now as Manual of Freediving - should be ready to buy late September.
If you mean Profondamente then this still hasn't been translated, although I am trying to convince him to let me do it. However we are still working on the English version of the Instructors manual so we can launch Apnea Academy International.
Expect big things in freediving over the next 5 years...

I bought the Pipin book out in Canada and managed to read it in a couple of days.
Pipin seems to be well aware that he is a bit 'macho' but as Alun says he opens up and explains in good detail his life as well as Audrey's fatal dive.
I recommend it.

I just finished reading the book. I couldn't put it down. In the beginning you try to keep an open mind, especiaclly after learning about his childhood and struggle to make it, however, once he's in Miami, and has a few records under his belt, you can see the arrogance start to show. It then starts to seep into safety, and his blatant disreagaurd for it. Not only does he put himself at tremendous risk, but he also starts to risk his crew. I was on his crew when he was in Cayman. The Cayman Challenge was a week long event of freediving, that was high-lighted by Audrey's first No-Limits record and his 2-breath stunt that was suppost to be to 600ft( he only did 515ft, due to a major accident that had happend earlier in his traning dives, its in the book). Dive Tech supplied his dive crew and boats. For a week or so we provided saftey divers, personnel and equipment for both his and Audrey's practices. He was constantly trying to cut corners and/or bully the crew to do things his way. One practice day, as he was into his breath up, the wind picked up, swinging the boats parallel to shore. This caused the block on the end of the rope to get tangled on the wall. The bottom divers signalled to abort the dive. When the signal reached the surface, he actually tried to ignore it. But Audrey and Nancy reasoned with him, but not enough that he didn't throw a major hissy-fit, yelling and cursing. I was also a safety diver for Mandy-Rae's No - Limits record in Cayman. We stricktly followed AIDA Safety standards, and actually had to postpone the attempt to find a defibulator. As I continued in the book, I actually forund myself getting angry. Not only by his disregaurd for his own safety, (major bounce dives, trying to ignore his limitations, his boughts of decompression illness), but for the direction you see the book going in. I'm not going to go into the details of the book, read it yourself and draw your own conclusions, however, his lack of concern for safey, does leave you questioning. If he had followed safety guidlines, such as the ones AIDA requires, safety divers ever 20 - 30 M, on board doctor and 1st aid treatment, O2 kits and Difibrulators, could this accident been avoided?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT