• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pippin on Italian TV

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alastair

Blue Member
Aug 30, 2002
There was a freediving documentary on Italian TV a couple of nights ago.

It was pretty comprehensive and included interviews (new and historic) with Umberto, Mayol, Maiorca, and Pippin, and lots of footage of them diving.

What was surprising however was the the section on Audrey. They had a very frank interview (in Italian) with Pippin.

I don't want to reopen the whole argument - I was just surprised that he would go on the record with such comments when the official statements from the IAFD are so defensive about safety.

Ciao

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
e` bravo

mi sa che e` un vero uomo, molto forte e questo non voule dire poco! ha perso la sua molgie! secondo me tutti devonno lascialo stare... tanti degli uomini piu' piccoli(senso figurativo) hanno stati schiacciati completamente con le tragedie piu piccole. non so che cosa farei al posto suo.

Last edited:
negative karma again?

all i said is that, "i think that pipin is a good man, very strong and definitely real, that can't be said for many... further more the man lost his wife and i think it is time that everyone leave him be.
many lesser men have been crushed by lesser tragedies. i can't be certain of what i would do in his situation. "

i only had the opportunity to meet the two of them togather once, and as for my brief encounter they seem to have had that connection that is only present in the best of marriages. he lost his wife, i just can't express the gravity of the situation enough. i think his candour on televison is a perfect reflection of feelings of guilt(his fault or not there may be "survivor's remorse" in his thinking) and his strong character looking to bear the burden and maybe move on.

Last edited:
Sono d'accordo

My mail was deliberately impersonal precisely because I didn't want to start an emotional debate that was likely to cause offence.

In the months following the Audrey tragedy, I for one found the public reaction of Pippin and the IAFD to be somehow aggressively defensive and devoid of the kind of guilty sentiment that one might expect, although given the nature of the accident I guess it's understandable that such 'legal' language was used.

I was therefore quite surprised to see such an open displaye of emotion, remorse, and courage in the documentary. My impression of Pippin as a man, a freediver and as a grieving husband was altered (for the better) by his interview.

For those who didn't see it (i.e. most of you!), he said that he would use his second great love (freediving) to pay tribute to his greatest love (Audrey). It was moving stuff.

Gitano, I had some difficulty to understand how much of the film was real and how much was dramatized by Rai. If you feel that the question is appropriate, in your opinion, was the footage of Audrey during her last dive real or fake?

Al

non lo so

Non lo so neanche io, se era vero o no:confused:

I dive with my wife and watch her sometimes meet and exceed my capabilities all in the same moment I am proud and startled/frightened. Our bond has only been made stronger by this sport and the trust in one another that it takes to test the limits safely. I have done most of my diving with my family(father, cousins, wife) and that brings things to a whole different level for me and my empathy for Pipin. I think diving families could be a perfect thread on its own(and maybe help us avoid more aggrivation of this topic). Please give some feed back on the idea.

P.S.

About the footage of the fatal dive... If it was real one could think of it as being educational. Brutal, but a reminder to all the risk that is involved... If it was a dramatization I think it was morbid sensationalism... I don't want to kill my karma over this subject(I just got it back), so I will say no more.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT