• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Piss alot during long cold dives?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
B

bluh2o

I suppose I could get an answer to just about anything, how about a scientific explanation for why I pee so dang much during long cold dives and long cold bodysurfing sessions?

Is it because during heavy excercise you need to sweat as a by product of muscle activity and if it's cold you can't sweat so you piss?

Is it because when you're in salt water your body naturally wants to balance it's salinity with the ocean so you piss out water?

Just curious

TP

You piss a lot...this is due to a diurisis.

The diurisis in Freediving is not only due to pressure (immersion)...it is also and mainly due to cold.

Diurisis = kidney filtering blood and in this case, seperating water from the rest of the blood. (lowering blood volume)

It is the reaction of an increasing blood pressure.

2 reasons for this increase:

- 1 Cold -

It s cold. To prevent the body from getting cold, all your blood leave the extremities and goes to the center of the body. (toes getting white)
Same quantity of blood concentrated in a smaller volume...blood pressure increase.

- 2 Ambiant Pressure -

The pressure around your body increases whith depth. This pressure aroud the whole body makes blood pressure increase.

This has a direct impact on your performances. Dehydration lowers the quality of muscle functionning.

In fact, blood with less water gets thicker and doesn t flow easely threw the capilars. This means that cells might not get sufficient O2 and nutriments...and that they ll have problems rejecting toxines and CO2.

Conclusion: Hydrate

Francois CIPA Nice

Thanks Roland and Francios,

That explains alot and it's facinating. It brings up another thought, I wonder if this cycle we put ourselves through, which is pretty rigorous depending on the temperature, length of time in the water, body fat content etc. could be considered conditioning in a positive sense. Or is it potentially detremental, over-taxing hormone production or kidney function.

I'm hoping it's good contitioning, as we age for instance. Repetitive self induced high blood pressure episodes and the healthy responses to them condition us for High Blood pressure episodes which are induced by age, diet, or Street fights? (I'm not suggesting you piss yourself before an altercation of some sort!) More like stressful situations are handled better metabolically due to our conditoning. Any opinions?

Tom

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT