• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Planning a trip to Western Australia, could use advice...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

vince.vega

Mar 21, 2003
Hi there,

we are planning to go on a dive trip to western australia, 5 weeks from mid Mai.

The plan so far is hiring a camper in perth and driving down the coast, stopping by some sights and worthwhile dive spots on the way.
We are planning to spend most of the time around the ningaloo reef and exmouth area.
As i understand it should be very likely to dive into some whale sharks at that time of the year.
We wouldn t mind very much seeing manta- rays as well :D

There are still some points of the plan on which i could use advice from either locals or people who know the area from former trips.

-What are good locations for diving along the coast?
-are there any dive centers you can recommend?
-where / what is the best way to dive with whale sharks?
-whats the price range diving shore/boat at that area?
-what is the lowest water temperature we would have to expect?
-Are there any diving areas/towns that are especially good for partying?
-Are there any deserted must see spots for non-guided shore dives along the coast?

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance

vince

Hey Vince,

Exmouth and Ningaloo are actually up the coast, that is, further north. If you're flying into Perth, I might suggest some spots to try on the way.

First of all, probably the best dive around the Perth area is Rotnest island. Theres a bunch of charters that go over there every day - you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone. If you don't mind the colder water, theres a nice little dve site a few hours south of perth, at a little place called Bussleton. The jetty there is huge, and it's a pretty famous dive site. It also offers a pretty good night dive.

Heading north, the next big stop would be a spot called monkey mia, near exmouth and shark bay. Here you can hand feed dolphins, plus get access to some of the best diving in aus.

Further north still is Broome, which has some really good diving, out on some of the offshore reefs.

From a safety point of view, a lot of north west australian coast is remote, so you need to plan ahead and take extra fuel, etc. As for accessing the coast, there's two problems. Firstly, a lot of it is sheer cliffs. Secondly, if you start getting a bit further north, you run the very real risk of finding a croc.

If you've got any more questions, we run a forum over here in aus, check out www.spearfishing.com.au - it's primarily a spearing/freediving site, but there should be more people there who can help you out with exact locations, etc.

Hi loopy,

just got back from my looong weekend and saw your reply to my posting.
Thanks a lot for the first hand information.
I guess i see you at spearfishing.com.au.

Cheers,

vince

i scuba dived 13yrs ago on the barrier reef,but only snorkled on rotnes ,was a great day cycling about on the island too,would recommend without hesitation .

Australia Dive Sites

Hi Vince,

Well loved Oz so much moving there next Year!, you are going to love it there, Must see sites in my humble opinon:

Fish rock Cave (www.southwestrocksdive) ask for Belinda, great outfit and Accommodation too! This is my Fav. site in Oz The island Fish Rock has opened up and you can dive through the middle!, right into a gutter filled with Grey Nurse Sharks! AMAZING!

And of course Ningaloo Reef!
if in Sydney (http://www.divesydney.com/) the guys here really know the local area! Atop site is Magic Point

If you have any further Questions please send me a mail!

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT