• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Please Help!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bubbles_scuba

Jun 19, 2004
Hi

I would be really grateful if anyone would reply to this thread answering my question.

I'm quite an experienced diver, and have never had any problems with my ears. Even so, the last couple of times i've gone diving, getting past the 3 metre mark has been hard. I've been equalizing properly nearly continuously, and haven't been under or over pressuring my ears. When i got to three metres (on my last dive), my ear started squealing and hurting. I hovered at that point for about a minute trying to equalize. Miraculously, after a minute of doing that, my ear stopped being painful. I was confident enough to carry on with thedive, and successfully got up to 18 metres without any more problems.

When i got to the surface there was a dullness in my ear. It felt almost blocked. knew i hadn't perforated it because there weren't any fluids coming out of it. The next dive ws in an hour, and i was sure my ear would be ok. I had no trouble with it at all.

In a week i'm going on a trip, (and i've already paid for it!) but my ear still feels strange. I have been advised to take decongestants,such as sudafed, as i have been told that the problem is a blocked sinus. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could be, or what i could do to stop it playing up.

Reactions: Baur
You could try "mothers old remidy" of inhaling steamy vick, that would certainly shift some of the congestant. It worked for me once ;)

Thanks - ill try that, although i'm not sure if it is decongested sinuses, as every time i've been when my ears have hurt, i haven't had a cold and my head hasn't felt blocked. I've been to a doctor, and he has said that my ears look fine. :-(

If yove got an iminant trip, all you can do under the circumstances is try the decongestiant and the vicks steam treatment, unless the Doc advises otherwise. Just remember that your Doc is your brst source of help :)

I have been advised to take decongestants,such as sudafed, as i have been told that the problem is a blocked sinus. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could be, or what i could do to stop it playing up.

whooaaa! be careful of using Sudafed while diving, the side-effects can be disastrous. Sudafed or Actifed contain pseudo-ephredrine hydrochloride...

ADVERSE REACTIONS include nausea, cardiac palpitations, irritability, excitement, headache, dizziness, tachycardia, diarrhea, drowsiness, stomach pain, SEIZURES, slowed heart rate, shortness of breath, and/or troubled breathing; with an overdose add anxiety, tenseness, and respiratory difficulty.

If you're diving with EANx and doing decompression dives, OxTox has also been attributed to divers taking Sudafed before the dives... and also severe narcosis during deep dives.

Not to mention that taking decongestants before diving can also lose effect during the dive.. i have seen people at 20ft with a reverse block that took 20minutes to overcome, and very painful indeed..

Decongestants can threaten your dive safety...

Thanks for yor advice about the vicks and sudafed. If you could keep posting replies about possible causes and solutions, im sure it'll be great advice for others as well as me!

Bubbles, look up 'ears' and 'sinuses' on the search option. A fair amount has been written about this topic....good luck!
OceanSwimmer

whoever gave me bad karma for my posting.. please own up and give reason???

Originally posted by island_sands
whoever gave me bad karma for my posting.. please own up and give reason???
It wasnt me but I thought your posting was pretty darn good, some good advice girl :D you didnt deserve bad karma for that

I've just come back from the trip, and guess what? There was no diving because there was a storm which meant no boat or shore diving, and zero visibility. When i go next i'll be very thankful for all the advice!

lol! that's a b@mmer!

at least you'll be all cleared up for the next one.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT