• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pneumatic Modifications

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
We've all read about the MAMBA kits on here, but I was wondering what other are doing to modify their pneumatics to make them more powerful- that means you FRED!

Actually, Fred (fjohnson) stopped by to say hello on his way back to North Dakota (yes, there is water there) and started telling me about all of these Russian websites that are full of pneumatic speargun mods that you can do. Since neither he nor I speak Russian I was wondering what others, who speak some form of English, were doing to upgrade theirs.

So far I've heard about polishing inner barrels, changing the type of oil thats used, swapping out rock tips for Tahitian/Hawaiian shafts, pumping up to higher pressures, drilling out the water entry holes, and beveling those holes to allow quicker exchange of water.

What are the rest of you doing- and I don't care about voiding some warranty that would cost me more in shipping than the gun is worth to take advantage of.

Jon

Apart Mamba kits and similars, and apart all the minor mods you mentioned, the new fashion is modifying the piston as shown in the link below.
You carve a "niche" in the body of the piston, fill it with oil and seal it with two orings: this way the piston runs smoother and faster.
I read about this kind of mod some months ago on an italian magazine. Now I see it again in the website of a new DB member from Italy, whose nickname is Hfprosoft.
The mod does not seem easy for DIY, however that's it. I'll see if I can find that old magazine and post some more details soon as possible.
Meanwhile, here's the link to Hfprosoft's website. Text in italian, but the picture somehow shos what I'm talking about:
X-Power

We've all read about the MAMBA kits on here, but I was wondering what other are doing to modify their pneumatics to make them more powerful- that means you FRED!

Actually, Fred (fjohnson) stopped by to say hello on his way back to North Dakota (yes, there is water there) and started telling me about all of these Russian websites that are full of pneumatic speargun mods that you can do. Since neither he nor I speak Russian I was wondering what others, who speak some form of English, were doing to upgrade theirs.

So far I've heard about polishing inner barrels, changing the type of oil thats used, swapping out rock tips for Tahitian/Hawaiian shafts, pumping up to higher pressures, drilling out the water entry holes, and beveling those holes to allow quicker exchange of water.

What are the rest of you doing- and I don't care about voiding some warranty that would cost me more in shipping than the gun is worth to take advantage of.

Jon

Jon,

maybe you know them already.

Anyway, here are two links to the most comprehensive standard airgun modification tutorials:

http://www.webalice.it/svl555/Sub/fucile.html
Articolo

Cheers, ulysses

Reactions: Jon
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT