• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pneumatic parts and servicing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lucky1

Feb 3, 2005
Hello all I am new here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.
I am looking at purchasing a smallish (85-90cm)pneumatic gun for my girl so she can dive with me. She finds band-guns too difficult to load. I will only buy one if I know I can get parts for it over here in Queensland Australia and I would really like to get my hands on a service manual so I can maintain it myself. The local guys at "sureair" in Cairns recommend a Mares or Cressi for availability of parts and ease of servicing. I am very interested in the "SEAC" guns at your shop but to be honest have never seen one before and unless I could get parts and service/repair it myself, I'd probably steer clear.
I am just learning about Pneumatic guns as I only ever use a "Riffe" and would personally feel awkward holding anything else in the water.
I'm stoked to be here and I'm keen to chat with you all about the best sport in the world.
P.S. Anyone out there with any insight into pneumatic guns or where to find repair/service manuals, please let me know.
P.P.S. Any spearo's from Oz, introduce yourself, maybe we can go kill some trout!!!(coral trout of course)

Hiya Lucky
Why cant she load a and gun? Is she very small? Ive been loading a 90cm gun with 16mm bands (OK just about!!) I recently bought a new gun that has 3 9/16 bands that I can load without killing myself, have you thought about that? Sorry I cant help you with the pneumatic guns :eek: I have no idea :)

Hello Alison and thanks for your reply.
Believe me I have tried to tell her that it's all technique but I just cant seem to get her to come around to the sunny and wonderful world of Band guns.... I EVEN TOLD HER I'D BUY HER A BRAND NEW RIFFE!!!! anyway, What can I do. The first gun she ever used was a pneumatic and anything else is foreign to her. Plus she is tiny, just 5feet tall. I am curious to try one myself but I'd need one that was bigger with as much grunt as I can muster. Most of my hunting is done out in the blue.
Well you were my first reply ever so thanks for being gentle with me.
yours in spearing. Luke

Lucky1 said:
Well you were my first reply ever so thanks for being gentle with me.
yours in spearing. Luke
Well I'm turning over a new leaf ;)
Im sure there will be plenty of advice come through in the next couple of days :) but in the meantime there's always the search button, that will usually pull some info up :)
By the way! I hope that isnt you in your profile pic!!!!! if it is, seek help ;)

No, I have had surgery since then, my nose is much more defined these days. :girlie

the good guns are
mares syreno or ministan
omer scorpion !!!! on off the best
cressisub sl
beuchat mundial air
i think 60-75 is good range
a 75 rubber band gun will be better choise

I have the seac sub Asso 55 and to be perfectly frank it is a waste of time in this size.
Most Pneumatics are fairly similar in general design inside.
I have stripped the Asso down and looked inside and it looks pretty similar to cressi/omer etc.
It strips down easy enough, I had to make a tool to grip the rear of the Barrel assembly, but that was a simple matter.

HI,

I have a Beuchat Maundial air (as Mundial says) I only have the sortest gun they do and only use it for hole fishing, it's OK, never gone wrong yet, but I have only had it a couple years and not used it all that much. Carry it on the boat just in case. I use rubber guns for everything else. Shouldn't be a problem getting spare parts for the Beuchat I wouldn't have thougt though.
My Dad once knew someone who shot himslef in the head with a compressed air gun while loading it.... be carful with them!
Cheers

Lucky1 said:
No, I have had surgery since then, my nose is much more defined these days. :girlie

thats a helluva box jelly in your hands!

island_sands said:
thats a helluva box jelly in your hands!

Yeah it's a beauty ay!!!! There are bigger though. We got one in the drag net once that was over ten inches from corner to corner across diagonals. scary! only ever been tagged by a loose tentacle across the foot and the pain was a phenomenon I don't care to re-visit. I can't imagine what a decent envenomation would feel like in the first moments(after a few minutes you wouldnt have to worry any more anyway!) :(
I have seen a couple of bad ones at work and pain relief just doesn't work for the victim, the efficacy of box jelly antivenine is now being reviewed as they have seen some pretty negative results. Magnesium is being trialed in a controlled study and the results are promising to say the least.
anyway, I digress!
Thanks for feedback. Luke

Reactions: island_sands
To HUAN..
Thanks mate, I'd love to see a photo of the tool you made for disassembly or any other info you have on the SEAC. Regards,
Luke

Luke
If you take the little plastic plug out of the end of the rear of the gun you will see the threads that the pump screws into.
You will also see that there is a slot running across the threaded part.
I just put two nuts on the end of a 17mm bolt and tightened them against each other.
The head of the bolt I ground down each side until it was just the right fit to fit into the slot.
I put a ring spanner on the nuts to hold it and was able to undo the barrel via the muzzle.
I will try and find the tool but as I don't use the gun anymore I have misplaced it.
here is a link to the seacsub site where you can download the manual for the gun.
http://www.seacsub.com/download_manuali.asp

Last edited:
Lucky1 said:
Yeah it's a beauty ay!!!! There are bigger though. We got one in the drag net once that was over ten inches from corner to corner across diagonals. scary! only ever been tagged by a loose tentacle across the foot and the pain was a phenomenon I don't care to re-visit. I can't imagine what a decent envenomation would feel like in the first moments(after a few minutes you wouldnt have to worry any more anyway!) :(
I have seen a couple of bad ones at work and pain relief just doesn't work for the victim, the efficacy of box jelly antivenine is now being reviewed as they have seen some pretty negative results. Magnesium is being trialed in a controlled study and the results are promising to say the least.
anyway, I digress!
Thanks for feedback. Luke

i saw a documentary the other night, it's a discover Australia series with all their amazing nasties... hell we should talk about this on another thread. This guy was tagging box jellies, wearing a thick wetsuit of course :)
Cheers
island_sands

:) PLease ensure you let all air out of gun before disassembly (undo plastic cap at rear of gun you will see a hole insert wire press ball bearing to expel. air,next remove trigger and PIN the rest is simple.

P.s when letting out air oil is present mind eyes.I like Mares guns
best luck :)

Thanks very much to old Dave, I apreciate the help. The guy at the mares dealership keeps telling me how complicated they are and how tricky they are to pull apart and service. I think maybe he is just tring to drum up more work for himself. I hate not being able to do things myself!!!

Hi, I have a couple of questions about a 15in (38mm) Mares pneumatic speargun. It is leaking off air, so I have to pump it up each couple of weeks. Does anyone know where to get a manual for this gun? I was wanting to know if anyone know how to replace the seals and where to buy them? The other question is what type and how much oil should be in the gun?
Thanks

is it a ministen? The manual used to be online on Mares website, but now no more. Here's a link for another airgun manual, hope this helps to give you an idea on how it works: those traditional pneumatics are about all the same.
http://www.seacsub.com/download/manuali/assoeng.pdf
However, be careful: fixing those tools is not so easy. Isn't there a shop in your environs where you can get it serviced by qualified personnel? If you want i may post detailed instructions, but i miss some of the technical words in english (i'm italian) and if we misunderstand each other we can make a mess with your gun...

thanks spaghetti, I do not know what model of gun it is or when it was made. It only saids Mares and made in Italy. I do have a shop here locally that sales Mare equipment. But they don't know how to work on spear guns. I had seen the website on an earlier posting and printed them off. But I did not know if they were compatable. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT